Cheap cheap cheap lappy

Status
Not open for further replies.

jairic

Baseband Member
Hey everyone! I would like to get a lap top. Thing is, I don't have the sort of money laying around that it takes to get a sweet one. My price range is sub $400. My requirements are, 1.) able to surf the net and play video 2.) wifi 3.) rechargable (probably all are). That's it> I'm thinking EEE PC. Does anyone have any other thoughts? Thanks!

Jake

BTW: It will primarily will be used for research both casual and for school (IT)

The EEE is nice. I also recommend you take a look at the Toshiba Portege R100, which I own. You can get one on ebay for around $400 with the second battery, you'll get around 6 hours of battery life total and it only weighs like 2.6 lbs plus a 12.1" screen, very nice.

Thanks for the help guys. The Toshiba Portege R100 looks great! :D I think I'll go with that on ebay instead of the EEE PC, since it's bigger and has more HDD space.

Yes it's very sexy, I really love mine. The only downside is that the drivers are so old, but you can still play some games okay if you want to. The 6 hours of battery life is great, take it everywhere with me and hardly notice it. Excellent little machine and the screen and keyboard are perfect.

I bought an older ThinkPad A21p on eBay for <$200. I had to buy a WiFi card ($40), USB hub ($20), and Ethernet card ($20) as well. It came with Windows 2000, but I now have both Ubuntu 8.04 and Windows XP Home on it instead. For around $250 I got a Pentium 3 850MHz 512MB laptop that can play DVD's and video files, has a 30GB hard drive, browses the Web, plays music, and runs a few older games. It has a HUGE 15.4" 1600x1200 screen (well, 15.4" isn't that big, but the resolution is), much better than the Eee's 800x600 or w/e and definitely bigger than 7" or 9". The 850MHz isn't fast by today's standards, but it is plenty fast for web browsing and running XP or Linux.

If you want a cheap laptop, don't look at stores, look at eBay's used section. That's where the good deals are.

unfortunately i would, but im nervous about being scammed...

Good sellers don't scam, just check out their feedback rating. Man sellers, even laptop sellers, have had thousands of good transactions in the past. Don't buy from low-rated sellers and use Paypal--ebay scams are very rare and there's a solid system set up to help you if anything weird does happen. Buyers are much more likely to scam--claiming they never received the item and so forth in order to milk a refund. I had a guy try that one on me.

Usually items being sold aren't scams, definitely check feedback. Usually scams are buyers. They bid on a laptop and try to organize a payment scam to get the laptop without paying for it. As for sellers, look for lots of items sold and good feedback, these sellers won't be scammers and you'll be sure to get a good condition laptop. The laptop I got was from a seller who had thousands of items sold and had 99% or greater feedback. It came packed very well and was in great condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom