PC Performance Precedence

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezysk

In Runtime
Just looking for some feedback on this topic here: Which is more important for PC performance: memory or processor speed.....and WHY ?

Well, first and foremost, processor speed is the leading factor in PC performance because without the extra speed of a processor, 1333MHz RAM won't speed up your system. It is best to have a system with a high processor speed and then focus on memory. Any DDR2 800MHz memory will give all the performance you need, but if you wish to go higher, DDR2 1000, 1066, or 1200 will give you slightly faster performance.

Basically memory won't boost the performance of your system if your CPU is lacking, because all processes must be fed through the CPU. If your memory is top notch and sending packets of information at high speeds, but your CPU is still a low 1.8GHz, with low cache, it won't take advantage of the memory speed boost. It can't. It will just slow things down.

So in my opinion, it's CPU first, then Memory. It's like comparing your brain to your arms. You can have arms that move faster than bullets, but if your brain is slow and can't function, the arms won't be able to meet their full potential either.

Its a good point. Was thinking of doubling the memory to 4 gigs, then I found out the card wouldn't even give me 3.

Some memory sticks like Kingston will have compatibility issues when not paired properly. I guess to avoid problems, then its safer to have everything the SAME.

When using the Dual Channel, yes it is always best to use the same exact ram. But if you have 4 slots you can use 2 types of RAM as long as the pairs match. Not sure how speeds would play a part in this, but as far as compatibility using 2 sticks of one brand and 2 sticks of another brand shouldn't be a problem.

The issue I may be facing, is that I have 2 sticks of 1 gig..a samsung.....and the single 2 gig stick...a kingston that I was planning to insert. They're both DDRs...but different speeds as well.

Well, for dual channel only the two sticks of Samsung ram will be affected. Put those in slots 1 and 3 if they aren't already. Then the extra 2GB stick of Kingston can go in any slot, but it will not be dual channel since there is no RAM in the final slot to be dual channel with. The speed should not matter too much as long as the motherboard supports whatever speed it is.

This upgrade should still increase performance (if you have a 64bit OS and a motherboard that supports 4GB of memory), but for best performance increase you should get 2x 1GB of Kingston RAM and use that in the second set of dual channel slots (slot 2 and 4). This would increase performance more than a single 2GB stick not in dual channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom