$600-800 Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
games depend on the GPU more than the CPU so he can go with a slower cpu and a faster gpu but not a cpu that will bottleneck it

I am aware of this, hence why I did not recommend any changes to any of the CPU suggestions. Only to the GPU suggestions since many many people think you have to have the more expensive cards, when in reality the lower cards such as the 8800GT 512mb/256mb or 9600GT 512mb will perform at maximum settings and still give a solid gaming experience for quite a while. There is no need to spend MORE now... especially on the brink of new cards. It would be best to spend LESS now as to have MORE later when he wants a big upgrade to a newer card (spend more now for the 8800GTS, have less to upgrade when a new card is necessary, which won't be for quite a while; leaving plenty of time to save money and get a lower GPU now that performs as well as it needs to).

EDIT: Final thought is that he should go no higher than an 8800GT 512mb at this point. But since the 9600GT is so close in performance and even cheaper, thus why I recommended it.

well y is he gonna spend 200$ on a cpu while he can spend $100 if he goes with a 9600GT

it just depends on him if he wants to spend it or not

I'm not sure I understand your question, but the simple answer is that CPU's last longer in terms of their usability in the future as opposed to GPU's. New GPU's are popping out every 5-6 months that drastically improve their capabilities, while CPU's take a year or more for the next step in their performance. So it makes more sense to get a decent CPU now and have it for 3 years, rather than get a cheap CPU, upgrade in one year. Getting a decent CPU and a decent GPU like the 9600GT or 8800GT is the best option for him. It leaves the best upgrade options for the future.

So let me get this straight. A GPU can limit a CPU but not the other way around? Also, thank you guys so much for your information...it's actually helping me understand the components better.

EDIT: I'm curious...with all the different manufacturers offering the same cards does it matter which one you go with? For example, is a Zotac card overall better than a XFX card? Basically is it a known fact that certain manufacturers are better than others?

You have it backwards. A CPU can limit a GPU.

And as far as different manufacturers, they all have their little differences. EVGA and BFG are both good companies and they both offer a "step up" program which lets you switch to a newer card in the near future. MSI usually has good quality cards that are cheaper than the rest and have exceptional cooling elements. Palit does crazy things like make 1GB 9600GT's and 8800GT's. Galaxy makes killer overclocking cards. They all have their perks. Basically just do your research, google the different cards and check their ratings on whatever site you are buying from. If they have good ratings and no bad drivers or firmware issues, go ahead and choose them. If you follow the "get what you pay for" line, then XFX, EVGA, and BFG are usually more expensive and better known brands, but that doesn't guarantee they will have the best card.

You both have solid points, it all comes down to how much OP is willing to spend.

since he is willing to upwards to 800 for this build, I just pushed the envelope with a 8800GT
(also OP didn't give resolution, I figured with such a powerful computer now, OP probably go for a monitor upgrade next, if he doesn't have a nice monitor already)
as to why rifle over AF7, I figured with the E7200... maybe the rifle can push it further than AF7 can.

as to video card, they are pretty much the same at stock, since they follow the same reference from nvida.
the difference is probably their OC potential(different memory used?) and customer service/ warranty

finally I'll bet OP is wanting a nice looking case so I left him with ~100 to spend on case
plus components continue to advance... cases "may" last a while

the difference is probably their OC potential(different memory used?) and customer service/ warranty

finally I'll bet OP is wanting a nice looking case so I left him with ~100 to spend on case
plus components continue to advance... cases "may" last a while

I don't plan on ever overclocking, unless this is safer than it sounds (longevity is more important to me than pushing the components as far as they can go). Also the look of the case doesn't matter to me at all. I wouldn't care if it was just a solid case with no style at all. I just want a unit that works.

The only thing I plan on using this build for is to play Warhammer online, which isn't supposed to release until probably late this year...and that may be an early estimate. Because of this I'm just trying to pick brains on this board. I figure $800 on a build will be by far enough to build a system that can play this MMORPG efficiently.

Maybe someone can suggest a good AMD build since it is more cost effective. That way he can opt for a better GPU, problem solved. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom