New build Question (Core 2 Duo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bouchane

Solid State Member
Hi

Just recently purchased a Gigabyte MOBO the GA-P35-DS3L P35 775 ATX Motherboard. Also Purchased the Intel E7200 Processor (2.53Ghz Core 2 Duo 1066 bus speed). Was wondering what would yalls recommendations as to going next (graphics card wise) cause there seems to be so MANY choices now and days. Thinking of spending 250-500 on graphics card cause I LOVE to game. hopefully Call of Duty 4 on full settings with this PC, Also if you recommend me returning this Mobo and processor and getting a different one, that can happen. I havent and WONT open them till i have all the parts for the PC to be put together that day.

Another question I have is. Can that MOBO take a DDR3 Graphics card. I know the ram is DDr2 But ive heard SOME people say ya and some no. trying to get more info on that subject. Thanks a ton for the help and time. also If you DO happen to recommend a nice graphics card. recommend a Power supply watt amount aswell cause I know the new cards get hot which means more Fans which means more watts .

thanks again

Yes DS3L is fine with DDR3 graphics cards.
One of the most recommended graphics cards out at the moment is the 8800GTS 512Mb. It'll also fit nicely into your budget.

And since you seem to be waiting a short while, might as well wait a few short weeks for the EVEN NEWER cards! Also, as far as watts, you really would need a high amperage power supply. I would say the PC Power and Cooling 610, 650tx, or similar power supply would be more than plenty! Fans really don't take that much power in most cases.

If you're interested, Newegg says that the mobo you purchased has been replaced by an ultra durable and dynamic energy saver board:
GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
It also runs $20 cheaper than the listed price of your board on Newegg. There are several other motherboards that use the P35 chipset if you are interested in comparing.

If you're looking to spend upwards of $250, 8800GTS is the way to go.

As for the graphics cards, they used to run off of CPUs for computing power, and now have GPUs to do that. Typically, graphics cards will list the GPU as GDDR3 rather than DDR3 - this is because there is actually a subtle difference. You can read an interesting article on DDR vs. GDDR Memories. In short, you can put a GDDR3 graphics card in a DDR2 memory motherboard.

If you're interested, Newegg says that the mobo you purchased has been replaced by an ultra durable and dynamic energy saver board:

He's already bought the motherboard. I don't see how he can get the one you listed :?

no i think i see where hes going with it, he just linked the wrong name i think...

where you talking about me upgrading from this

to this.

GA-EP35C-DS3R 775 ATX Motherboard

That on directly above i THINK is the upgrade. It seems to be the exact same but DD23. Would this really be better, cause i dont know. Seems to me DDr2 (ram wise is cheaper but that dont matter)

Also, this processor. with the 1066 busspeed on it i was thinking of trying to get the 1333mhz outta it... should i go with a different one? Yes ive already purchased these parts but Still in box and wrapped up So no company should have a return problem, even got the recipt from microcenter if ALL else fails lol. So im not worried about returning IF it may be a LIL better for not to much more $
also... I have a 650 Power Supply. in this PC atm and it only needs a 350. Do you think the new PC im trying for with run off a 650? I wasnt sure if those numbers the dude left earlier where to the name of the Powersupply or the wattage...

THANKS A TON YALL! a GREAT help and then SOME!
Bouchane

scratch what i said last post on the power supply, i think im going to get a nice one cause thats where Ive heard a lot of HEat and reliability comes from? does that sound dumb or smart?

ANyone to recommend either A) a REALLY COLD case. top of the line maybe, cause i might upgrade into in down the road. AND or a LAN travel Case thats as well COLD.

Reason I keep enphasizing cold is cause the atmosphere i have the PC in isnt the coldest. and it tends to get PRETTY hot in this room with 2 PCs running , stereo and TV...

My apologies - the first post you wrote mentioned you had the GA-P35-DS3L, and I was saying "upgrade" to the GA-EP35-DS3L, since you said you can return the old model. But if you have the EP35, it should be fine.

As for the power supply, you can check out the Power Supply Guide by Ste. But the 650W should be fine.

I'll leave the cooling stuff to someone more qualified to answer. But a well ventilated case and a cooler for the CPU (I hear Arctic Freezer is nice) should keep things under control temperature-wise.

For a graphics card I would recommend ONE of two options.

1. Wait a few weeks for the new cards and then pick one up (either ATI or nvidia)
2. Buy an EVGA card (or bfg, but I have no experience with the step up policy there), preferably an 8800 gts 512, and then step up when the new cards come out.

Oh, and please OC your new E7200 and run some superpi stuff
here http://www.techist.com/forums/f10/tech-forums-official-superpi-1m-top-list-169586/
I would like to see your results :).

im pretty new to building and dont really know how to OC and am pretty scared to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom