One or 2 video cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
can u dedicate 1 card to each monitor?(gx2) if you can that would be a good option. but obviously 9800gtx's in sli would be better and im guessing itll be easier to setup. were u thinking of upgrading to the q6700 frpom a q6600? i would get the q6600 in that case the q6700 doesnt offer too much better performance.

Woops. I had a typo on my last post. I meant 2 9800GTX's. And I can't have SLI with two monitors. The dedicating 1 card to each monitor is what I plan to do, but that is what I have been asking about on here this whole time to make sure it would work. I'm not sure what processor he has but it isn't a quad-core. I think it's a two year old computer with a lower dual-core in it (he hasn't told me his current configuration; just that he needs a better one).

I want to go with the q6700 because he can afford it, the multiplier is one higher, and so in theory it should overclock easier and higher.

im not sure if u can entirely dedicate each card to a monitor. But it sounds like it could be the cpu thats slowing him down. also he should have 4gb of ram of hes running two instances of games.

true, in theory a q6700 would be better coz it has higher multi but stick with a q6600. the limitation is heat on air cooling for quad cores. and q6700 will suffer from the same heat as the q6600.

im not sure if running two cards not sli mode would work, hopefully someone else here has tried before.

I know you can run multiple cards for multiple monitors, I'm just not sure if it would run the full power of each card per monitor. 4GB is what I'm giving him for the new build (once again, I don't know his current setup). With the budget he's given me, I really want to go with a 45nm quad cpu so then I could really overclock that thing.

It seems that using the Asus Rampage with its 2 PCI-E x16 2.0 lanes, that both video cards should be able to run at full tilt and as long as one monitor is plugged into each card, it seems to reason that each monitor would have it's dedicated video card and would therefore run games on both monitors at the same time just fine.

ugh... double post.

EDIT: May as well turn this into something useful. I know of people who use multiple monitor setups to play games like Flight Simulator, and they use multiple video cards. So it seems like devoting one monitor per card would be the best way to maximize performance per monitor. Can anyone confirm my speculations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom