Help me decide on 30 in Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
They said, contrast ratio was

25:000:1

You want to be careful about dynamic contrast ratio, which is what they probably gave you. Dynamic contrast ratio is where they change the backlight brightness depending if the current picture on the screen is dark or bright, then they compare the dark with low backlight to light of high backlight. Instead of the light vs the dark on one single picture. I dont know of any1 that turns on dynamic contrast as it often is disorienting as the picture gets very dark then very bright between scenes of a movie for example.
Look for the static contrast ratio. Sometimes that wont be on a spec sheet and you gotta go digging for it.

Which Video card should I get with this as screen? 9800 GTX or 9800 gx2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEC
Manufacturer Part # PX-42XR3A
Plasma Display Type Plasma
Display Area Diagonal: 42"
Pixel Pitch 0.897 x 0.675mm
Resolution 1024 x 768
Viewing Angle 160 degrees
Aspect Ratio 16:9
Cabinet Color Silver
Signal Input Input Video
Signal PAL
SECAM
3.58/4.43 NTSC
Frequency Horizontal: 15.5 to 110kHz auto
Vertical: 50 to 120 Hz auto
Input Connectors 1 x composite video input/output ( BNC )
1 x composite video input ( RCA phono )
1 x S-Video input ( 4 pin mini-DIN )
3 x audio line-in ( RCA phono x 2 )
1 x component video input ( RCA phono x 3 )
1 x HD component video / RGB input ( BNC x 5 )
1 x VGA input / output ( 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15) )
1 x DVI-Digital ( 24 pin digital DVI )
1 x serial ( 9 pin D-Sub )
Power
Requirements Voltage 120V 50/60 Hz
Consumption 300 Watt
Operating
Conditions Temperature 32° - 104° F
Humidity 20 - 80%
Dimensions
(W x H x D) Unit 40.1" x 24" x 3.5"
Weight Unit 65 lbs.
Warranty 3 year limited warranty
Includes in the Box NEC PlasmaSync 42XR3A 42" Plasma Display
AC Power Cord
User Manual
Remote Control
Batteries
Cable Clamps
HDMI to DVI Adaptor

I hear burn in issue is a problem with Plasma how can I avoid this with computer a screen saver turn off monitor when idle. This machine will be on 3 to 5 hrs max daily.

Thanks

Okay if you are going single card and not SLi go with the GX2 as that has 2 GPU's on 1 card.

As for hte other thing. The burn in will only happen if you leave a image on there 24/7/365. But to prevent any issues make sure your screensaver kick on after 10 minutes and then goes to sleep after 20.

Screen burn is not all that common any more, it can happen just not very likely to happen. But out of respect for your wallet an to save the earth set power management like mac said screens can take up a lot of power.

This plasma tv is 3 or 4 yrs old.

I will only have it on 3 or 4 hours a day max how quick would you see any burn in if I never put screensaver on on sleep after 20 like Mak said. I am just asking I will follow advice above :).

Will playing games programming, surfing the net, using word or any other program straight every night for 3 or 4 hours cause burn in of my desktop or should I reduce my time each day to avoid any issues.

Others have said, text is blurry with Plasma tv as monitor. This display uses non square pixels. The 1024x768 resolution is correct. I'm not sure computer video cards will understand non square pixels and diplay images without distortion on such a screen. They might do but it would need inverstigating. Is this true?

BTW thanks Mak and Saxon for your time answering my questions.

bkolk is correct.. i think the highest static contrast ratio is 10,000:1 right now.. if i remember right

dynamic i've seen go pretty high.. my tv i'm using for my computer now is 15,000 and looks great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom