New Q6600 running VERY hot

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only kind my local Tigerdirect store had...Ultra Thermal Gel, and then the stuff that came with the A/M heatsink, which worked a little better. The layer was thin, spread out with a brush that came with the paste.

With the syringe of stuff that came with the Heatsink, we followed instructions posted by a lot of people saying that because the CPU is concave or something, you should dab a bit in the middle and then apply the heatsink on top of that. That seemed to work better.

I could order some MX-2 but I don't wanna shell out 10 bucks for it with shipping for a tube and have it not make a difference.

Yeah after reading some reviews I'll prolly just get an Arctic Freezer Pro 7 sink and some arctic silver five...guess it should help.

Thermal paste is VERY tricky. My first attempt with xigamtek 120mm rifle HS/Fan had my idle temps at 50 and load to 71 at stock volts and speed. Cleaned the cpu/HS and tried again, no brush, used a toothpick to get a thin line of AS-5 like directed. Dropped my temps to low 30's and high 50's under load while oc'd to 3.6 (Q6600). It 's SOOOO easy to put too much paste on. Best to put that thin line and let it naturally spread out as you seat the HS.

as5 isnt exactly "crap" but its just not the best on the market anymore. I think i'm going to redo mine tonight as i think i have moved it around too many times and my temps arent as good as i'd like to be.

Thermal paste is VERY tricky. My first attempt with xigamtek 120mm rifle HS/Fan had my idle temps at 50 and load to 71 at stock volts and speed. Cleaned the cpu/HS and tried again, no brush, used a toothpick to get a thin line of AS-5 like directed. Dropped my temps to low 30's and high 50's under load while oc'd to 3.6 (Q6600). It 's SOOOO easy to put too much paste on. Best to put that thin line and let it naturally spread out as you seat the HS.

You mean one thin line across the middle?

I might try that, cause that aftermarket cooler should perform much better than the stock.

as5 isnt exactly "crap" but its just not the best on the market anymore. I think i'm going to redo mine tonight as i think i have moved it around too many times and my temps arent as good as i'd like to be.

Yeah I know it isn't crap in and of itself but compared to other offerings there just no point to buy it anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom