2 Diff readings from Hard Drive, WTH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokernod

In Runtime
I pulled my 100GB HDD out of that HP and put in this junkbuild as a slave (for now) I believe my Master is a 20GB but Im not positive, its just an old HDD I had laying around and I stuck it in months ago, so I cant remember.

My Master HDD/No partition: I go into "My Computer" and float my cursor over it and it reads "free space 10.1 GB - Total Size 18.5GB" W/E, fine. So I right click and click properties and I get about the same. But I open "Everest Ultimate" and it shows the drive as 40GB total. Im confused. Something Im Missing?
I wanted to wait until the new build before I format because if anything goes wrong Im out of luck. But I was just loading my old Call Of Duty (bored) and got to thinking about space. Now Im Lost.
Im guessing "Everest" isnt reliable?, or is it my computers fault?

Sounds as if the drive was partitioned and the 2nd partition is in RAW format which is not recognized by Windows. Try using something like Partition Magic to see if it is a 40GB hard drive.

Well, Score 1 for Mak! (and 1 for Everest) You were absolutely right, 20 gigs just sitting there unallocated. Probably my fault. Must have got in a hurry when I installed windows. I normally partition when I install, I must have forgot to format the other half of the drive. And since it was pretty much half, I'll take the blame, thats usually how I partition them, Half and Half.
Thanks Man!

Of course now Im at 37.2gigs..... Im always confused about that, wheres the other 2.8gigs?
but hey......

That is easily explained. Hard drives are not straight up 40GB.

Kilobyte (KB) = 1,024 Bytes
MegaByte (MB) = 1,024 Kilobytes or 1,048,576 Bytes
Gigabyte (GB) = 1,024 Megabytes or 1,073,741,824 Bytes
Terabyte (TB) = 1,024 Gigabytes or 1,099,511,627,776 Bytes

So in reality is turns out to be like 37 or 38GB. I forget how the companys do the actual math but it is never exact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom