Does using AC harm the battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use my laptop all the time while it is charging, and I can say with certainty that the battery does not last as long as it used to.

When I first bought it, I could get maybe 2 hours and 20 minutes out of a full charge, now after a year and half, I am lucky to get an hour and 30 minutes.

very lucky.

I thought I was imagining this, but my laptop also seems to have a shorter battery life then when I first bought it by about 10 minutes I would say. And I use it while it's charging. Actually, I leave it charging almost all the time :/ .

I COULDN'T EVEN LISTEN TO CHOCOLATE RAIN THE WHOLE WAY THROUGH :'[

That's tragic.

i can say from experience that if you arent smart with your laptop batteries, you will ruin them...
i had an old Sony Vaio back in the day, and i would always leave my battery in, with the AC power plugged in, then disconnect for a bit, then plug back in... over and over...
and after a while, i started noticing my battery life had taken a plunge... it got to the point where my battery would last about 20min before dying and i had to order a new one before someone told me this general rule:

drain it almost all the way down, then charge it all the way up... always

havent had any problems since then... same rule applies for almost all rechargeable batteries, from my understanding...
now i dont know much about the difference between Li-Ion or NiCH or w/e... but i do know that if you constantly recharge a semi-full battery... odds are good youll kill it...

check out some of those 'caring for you battery' guides or w/e, that people posted... some good info there... good luck :) - RK

so u are saying that u should recharge it if the battery is like 10% to full while it is on?

from 5-10%-ish, to all the way full yea... but its prolly best to turn it off while its charging... or at least not use it... and then either unplug the AC or take out the battery... from my experience/understanding, this is usually best... :) - RK

well cz i use the laptop for many hrs i just recharge while in use when it shows Low Battery Sign then when it has at least 85% i remove it and do the same thing

so u are saying that u should recharge it if the battery is like 10% to full while it is on?

I depends on the wattage of the AC adapter. A good high wattage AC adapter will supply more than enough current to charge a low battery and run a fully loaded CPU/GPU at the same time with no problem. A cheap under wattage adapter will just get hot and the battery to take longer to charge. If you need a fully charged battery in a hurry, use sleep mode or power down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom