What do you think of this coombination?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorabisa

Beta member
Hi everyone!

I'm building a new PC, but it's the first time and I'm not an expert, so I'm really not sure about the components I've chosen. It's not really a gamer pc, but I need some power because I'll use it sometimes for editing videos and work with big images. What do you reckon?

INTEL Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.50GHz
Asus Maximus Extreme
Kingston ValueRAM 2GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Deskstar 7K1000 750Gb Sata-Ii
Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT 512MB
Antec Sonata Plus 550
LG L227WT 22 inch TFT LCD Monitor
Samsung SH-S202 20X IDE DVDRW

Thank you!!

here is what I think,

ASUS P5K-E/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
Since you said "big" images, I figured more ram would be better than more speed. make sure you use 64bit OS with this or else get
GeIL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
2GBs if programs you use does not behave well in 64bit environment

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

LITE-ON Black 20X DVD SATA Burner
LITE-ON Black 20X DVD SATA Burner

rest either don't know or don't care :p

edit:
some will say psu that cames with cases is crap, but this is an antec neopower 550 so I think its fine

Hi everyone!

I'm building a new PC, but it's the first time and I'm not an expert, so I'm really not sure about the components I've chosen. It's not really a gamer pc, but I need some power because I'll use it sometimes for editing videos and work with big images. What do you reckon?

Asus Maximus Extreme
Antec Sonata Plus 550

Thank you!!

the maximus extreme is a bit overkill for what you're doing. A Gigabyte P35 DS3L would suit your needs fine. With that, you can get some Crucial Ballistix ram, and 4gb of that. The Proc is a good choice for what you'll be doing. Maybe throw in a 8600gt instead, just cause the 8500gt is a hunk of junk. i would say for a HDD go for a WD 640gb HDD, they are extremely cheap right now, and highest quality drives. Also definitely go for SATA DVDRW drives.

get a q6600... cheaper, or if you can afford it a q9450. I've seen them around for $350 beans. You'll have 12mb cache instead of 8mb which the q6600 has and 6mb that the q9300 has.

Asus Maximus Extreme
Antec Sonata Plus 550

okay, heres my problem with everything... (and i know you said youre new at this, so dont feel bad :)) you seem to have picked some pretty high end parts in some categories... then some pretty crummy ones in others... start again from the ground up...

-a Q6600 or Q6700 will do you much better than that Q9300, more than likely... and is better for the price..

-from what ive heard, the maximus extreme has been reviewed pretty poorly... DDR3 and their accompanying boards really just arent worth buying just yet, unless you want to just throw money at your comp... also, the cooling ive heard is pretty bad on this too for if you plan to overclock... stay with a Maximux Formula, or maybe a Rampage Formula if youre set on that kind of model... otherwise, yea a good P35 or other X38 board will be just fine...

-valueRAM is never a good idea... go for some DDR2 stuff and get some good quality ones... prolly 4+GB of it if youre going with a 64-bit OS... crucial ballistix or g.skill are tops in general... tho other companies do make a few great models here and there... those OCZ reapers are pretty alright, i guess...

-get a WD SE16 or a Seagate 7200.11 drive for sure... and as big as you can afford, i guess...

-i have nooooo idea why you would pick such an expensive board, CPU, and RAM for graphics work, and skimp on a graphics card... totally upgrade in this department... the 9800 series is really stellar for the price just at the moment... id throw a 9800GT or with the money you save, maybe even a GTX in there... otherwise, at least step up to the 8600 or 8800 series...

-im not so sure about that PSU... :/

-the Samsung 226BW is regarded as one of the best 22" monitors currently, if you havent looked at it already...

- go for SATA everything for SURE...

yeaaa... just some thoughts... good luck :) - RK

EDIT: check this out if you have any more doubts/questions prolly... it really is a great resource: Recommended PC Components Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom