How to install harddrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anique

Baseband Member
I have bought new hard drive 500 gb i attached with my 40 gb now problem is 40 gb is on master driver and 500 gb is on salve i want 500 master and install i have attached on slave the partition is not showing in my computer but in advance setup its showing that u have salve drive but how to make partition please tell me thx in advance.and sorry for bad english.

As Exibition said. Switch their spot on the cable and also make sure the jumpers are set right.

Unless you plan on downloading ALOT of large programs to your hard drive, and this is only a suggestion, you could just move all of your personal stuff to the 500 and keep the 40 as your main. The reason being (and Id confirm this, but) the smaller drive would make it easier/faster for your computer to find things in "program files". Then you could keep all of your pics, music, and especailly movies, etc on the larger drive. On the other hand, if you plan on loading alot of large games (COD4 all by its self is like 10GB installed) then I wouldnt suggest this, instead, partition the 500 into two 250s and ditch the 40, unless you just want to keep it for smaller stuff, maybe pics and music.
But if you can keep your "Programs" seperate from your "Personals" it does keep things running smoother.

Sorry but using a smaller drive is not going to make any difference. I use a 160GB 7200 RPM SATA Drive and it will access and obtain files jsut as fast as any 40GB 7200RPM SATA Drive.

Maybe with IDE that is a factor but if you are using 7200RPM Drives with at least 8MB of cache you will not see the difference. You are talking about nanoseconds. Not even recognizable by the human eye.

ok u r saying that i switch 500 to main drive and then install xp on it?? so xp automatically choose partition on it??? I want 4 partition in 500 gb also and in there is 4 partition..

OK Thx Everyone But Can aniybody tell me in 4 parition how much mb is one partition??? means what the space of 1 parititon in mb?? if i divded 500 into 4 then itz 125 gb for one partition. and mb?? becoz in xp setup we have to enter in mb :S and tell me guyz if i make partition so my 40 gb is safe na?? i have lot of data in 40 gb i dont want to lose that ... there is drives coming c d e f in 40 gb but no drive showing for 500 gb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom