Need help -giving PC med-high gaming capability

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadman

Beta member
A little over 3 months back my old computer died and I picked up a middle of the line HP Pavilion to replace it from costco.

http://www.costco.com/images/content/misc/PDF/11203303_a6357cb.pdf

At the time I was desperate for a quick fix and assumed at $1000 the pc would at least be able to handle games. I did not give this much thought as I was more concerned using it for work and word processing at the time.

Anyways, after uploading some of my old games I saw that the graphics were WORSE than what they had been on my 5 year old desktop (which ran a ti-4200)

Sadly, three months have passed since I bought the new comp and I can no longer return it to costco.

Im am not very tech-savvy but after researching realized I would probably be up to installing a new graphics card. I then realized my power supply (250w) would not be able to handle a new card (I was comparing 8600 gt or gts and a low end 8800gt). I am on somewhat of a budget here.

As far as I know the power supply is the only thing stopping from one of these cards running on my machine and giving it respectable gaming ability.

I have never opened up a computer before (other than to check what my pitifully weak power supply was) and am wondering it i would be up to the task of purchasing/installing both a new power supply and graphics card and ensuring everything would be compatible. AND I may be completely missing some other important aspect of upgrading. I am only trying to spend $150-$180 on both a new card and supply, however I did find some cards I would be happy with in the low-mid $100 range.

Any insight would help a lot.

that hp has integrated graphics which is why ur not getting good performance in games. im not too sure about budget cards for american [prices since live in australia. but its certain you would need a new psu and graphics card.

for that price i guess u could get a 9600gso 384mb or maybe a 9600gt for a lil extra and a psu like a xclio stablepower 460w which would run them fine.

I wasn't able to open up that .pdf file
but since you just bought that comp 3 months ago, I don't see why it shouldn't have a pci-e 16x slot
so my suggestion?
Corsair VX 450w Power Supply - CMPSU-450VX - Buy.com
if you want to go over budget by about $10 bucks
or
Newegg.com - Antec earthwatts EA380 380W ATX12V v2.0 Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, FCC, TUV, CE, CB, C-tick, CCC - Power Supplies
if you want to stay within budget

on to vid card
Newegg.com - XFX PVT88SFDF4 GeForce 8800 GS 384MB 192-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
or
Newegg.com - XFX PVT88SFDFU GeForce 8800 GS 384MB 192-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
2nd one comes with game(call of duty 4) for extra $10 bucks
(these two's fans run @ 100% speed fixed, some consider it "loud", some are more tolerant)

Newegg.com - EVGA 384-P3-N851-AR GeForce 8800 GS 384MB 192-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
3rd same price as 2nd but no free game, but adjustable fan speed

and to proceed it'd be pretty easy as to unplug wall outlet, unplug everything power supply unit connected to, switch it out, reconnect whatever you just disconnected, voila
plug in the vid card into big slot, feed it some juice and update some drivers.

Yeah upgrading isn't as hard as it seems, after the first time its a peace of cake. Just remember to take your time and not get to frustrated if you run into any problems.

Oh and BTW, when he said "feed it some juice" he means plug up the power to it. There is no special magic sauce or anything. :D

If I would have heard that a few years ago that's what I would take from that. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom