Bag O questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

VampD

In Runtime
Im help build a computer for a friend and havent really been in the loop with technology and all now adays, so I had a few questions: ( Much appreciate in advance to whoever takes the time to answer these questions )

1. 8800 GT 512mb still the best deal? Whats with all the new ATI 38XX cards? I saw an 8800 GT 512mb for like 150 after mail in rebate...surely that must be the best deal?!?

2. Hows this new WD Velociraptor hard drive I hear about...although its still 10k rpm Im assuming its much better then a WD raptor? ( neglecting the worst price per GB ratio )

3. My motherboard has a P35 chipset, is that still the one to get for a core 2 duo gaming system? Whats with all this G33, G31, P45 etc etc

4. Any good recommended mobos?

5. Whats the good HSF besides the tuniq tower?

6. When overclocking, do people still do whatever possible to achieve a 1:1 ratio even if that means underclocking their ram? Is it really worth it with ddr2pc6400 ram? Whats better, overclocking the ram, getting tighter timings, or underclocking the ram to achieve the 1:1 syncronous ratio? Seems to be mixed opinions when I read around

8800gt is the second best bang for the buck GPU out right now (second only to 8800gs in my opinion)

VelociRaptor costs $1 per GB, I highly not recommend it, theres the WD 640gb thats almost as fast and will probably have a longer life span because its 7200RPM

P35 is a Mainsteam Overclocking Mobo
G35- is a mainstream board
G33- low end board, usually goes with HTPC's
P45- is the successor of P35

I recommend the DFI Lanparty DK P35 for $130 if you don't want SLI

if you do I recommend the eVGA 750i FTW

Xigmatek Rifle is extensively popular now, gives the TRUE a run for its money

People still like 1:1 ratios, but its not bad to run in other ratios, usually the speed difference between the 3 isn't noticeable at all (whether it be a few more points in 3dmark or a few more FPS in games)

1. there is alot of cards that are good like 9600GT, 8800GT, 8800GTS, and 9800GTX.

2. Velociraptor isnt worth it just get a 7200RPM and ull be happy

3. P35 are still good. we still recommend pl to buy the GIGABYTE P35 DS3L or DS3R. i havent seen ppl recommending the G33, G31, or P45

4. Depends. SLI = eVGA 750i FTW or Non-SLI = P35 or X38

5. Dont know. there is a lot but im not good with HSF

6. Why underclock? They dont need to. The DDR2 800 are very good with good timings. You can overclock those to 1066 easily.

EDIT: dang again he beats me

usually instead of underclocking ram they raise the fsb therefore overclocking their cpu to match the 1:1 ratio.

for example a q6600 at 3.6ghz has a 400mhz bus. (3600/9)
ddr2800 pc6400 ram has a actual speed of 400mhz also (800/2)
therefor achieving a 1:1 ratio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom