Replacing integrated graphics with an AGP card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmoussa87

Baseband Member
Hi everyone, just enlisted on the forums.
My motherboard is an Asus P4V533-MX and states in the tech specs that it is compatible with a 4X AGP card.
I'm currently running horrible old 16 bit integrated graphics, and i would like to play some fairly new games such as Warcraft 3, Unreal Tournament and Sacred Gold and watch nice videos, animation etc. Nothing groundbreaking, just nicer graphics allround and some moderate 3d gaming.
Most of the AGP cards at the computer shops these days are 8X AGP but from my preliminary research i do believe that they are compatible with 4X slots, albeit operate at an underoptimised level. The AGP card i was interested in to purchase is an inexpensive and basic Inno3d 128 mb FX5200 or a ASUS 128mb Geforce FX5200, something along those lines. I don't know if there is much differrence between them.

My question is whether these cards would be compatible with my motherboard? I think it has something to do with the voltage of the cards, but since there a millions of different models and combinations it is quite difficult to determine.
Since once i buy it and open the the nice packaging it is deemed non-refundable! Your help is most appreciated.:D

You are correct AGP 8x are backwards compatiable with AGP 4x slots so your suggested video cards would do just fine. My only concern is if you are running such an old motherboard your cpu and ram must be extreamly out of date.

You could buy a new computer which would totally dominate your current rig for just a few hundred dollars. I would seriously consider it if you plan to play some of the more modern 3D games.

thanks for the advice. I should go ahead and get it then.

My computer is running just fine, it is a few years old but i bought it cheap and it is sufficient for my needs. I need to spend atleast 1000 dollars if i want to get a descent gaming system with dual processors, good graphics card, and all the other important stuff. Maybe in USA, but you can't get a good system for a "few hundred dollars" in Australia. Some of the new CPUs cost as much as my whole pc. I really don't play that many games anyway, and i have a huge catalog of old favourites that can run on a PII easily.

Nice system, Redmoon.
I am actually on the East coast, in Sydney, but i assume prices would be very similar nationwide. I think it would be exciting to build your own PC, although i don't know if i would feel confident about it because i have only really opened my case a few times for small upgrades or to check components. If i bought a new system, future expandability would be a main consideration, to ensure that it can be upgraded easily and won't become obsolete too quickly.

Building your own system is not as hard as you would think. Before I built my system the most I had done to a computer was upgrade the ram. The motherboard will come with a manual that tells you how to connect everything and how to install your cpu, ram, etc.

Yes the large slot with the little clip on the end above the pci slots in the AGP slot.

To anyone who says theyre afraid to build theyre own computer I say, do what I did. Take and old 333 or another old junk PC that still works(most of them do) and tear it down and put it back together. If it still works, you just built a PC......twice.....Once backwards.:D
Its really easy! and rewarding.....and most of all cost effective.

To anyone who says theyre afraid to build theyre own computer I say, do what I did. Take and old 333 or another old junk PC that still works(most of them do) and tear it down and put it back together. If it still works, you just built a PC......twice.....Once backwards.:D
Its really easy! and rewarding.....and most of all cost effective.

HAHA! Great Idea! I guess it would be some useful training before i ever decided to do it for a real expensive system that i was building. All the components and principles of computer building are the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom