Wireless system...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Compy, now you're just starting to annoy me. This thread is already starting to get off track and I hate to think Ice9 is being neglected by our "discussion". You wanna continue this convo... just PM and we'll discuss it.

do you have aim? i really want to straigten this out...and i agree it is getting off topic, we're sorry for being rude and going off topic.

compy said:
do you have aim? i really want to straigten this out...and i agree it is getting off topic, we're sorry for being rude and going off topic.

DUDE - WHY do you keep postingon this thread ! I told you to PM didn't I??

Lone Wolf said:
Of course you do! I thought you knew atleast that much. If you buy a wireless nic or usb adapter, yoiu will of course need a wireless router. Otherwise, if you don't want to go w/ the wireless option, just buy a standard DSL/Cable router.

Incidentally, I saw a nice deal at MicroCenter last nite where they have a Belkin 4 port DSL/Cable router on sale for only $10 after rebates. Normally $50.

EDIT: In your situation since the pc connected via modem is located downstairs; it might be a good idea to go with the wireless option since you don't have to worry about running the cat5 cabling all over the house. This will mean that all the others PCs/ Laptops in your house will need a wireless NIC/adapter as well.

Well i thought I did know that much but before you said "If your PC downstairs is connected to the internet via a modem, I don't see how you could connect that to a wireless router. " so I got confused lol. Anyways thatnks for the help... I was going to get a usb adapter, router and card which i dont need the card so you saved me some money.

Ice9 said:
Well i thought I did know that much but before you said "If your PC downstairs is connected to the internet via a modem, I don't see how you could connect that to a wireless router. " so I got confused lol.

Well i suppose I could have worded that differently.

Note on that on the wireless option: You will see plenty of good deals for routers like the one I mentioned above. That's because there's a new wireless standard protocol 802.11 (g) that's been introduced - it's rated for maximum throughput of 54 MB/sec. Of course the cheap deals are for the routers that can handle versions (a) and (b) which are slower but... again... if all you're doing is surfing and downloading once in a while, that should be sufficient.

The newer routers that support the new protocol (version G); of course are a bit higher priced. And you will need a NIC that is also capable of supporting the new protocol. Basically, you're gonna pay!.. LOL.

Lone Wolf said:
Well i suppose I could have worded that differently.

Note on that on the wireless option: You will see plenty of good deals for routers like the one I mentioned above. That's because there's a new wireless standard protocol 802.11 (g) that's been introduced - it's rated for maximum throughput of 54 MB/sec. Of course the cheap deals are for the routers that can handle versions (a) and (b) which are slower but... again... if all you're doing is surfing and downloading once in a while, that should be sufficient.

The newer routers that support the new protocol (version G); of course are a bit higher priced. And you will need a NIC that is also capable of supporting the new protocol. Basically, you're gonna pay!.. LOL.

well there is a dlink router at frys for 39.99 after rebates. It is wireless G. But then again i just saw this... there is a wireless B one for only 4.99! So what does the Wireless G help you do faster besides surfing and downloading? With the wireless B how much of a speed drop will I notice between B and G from the connection downstairs?

If memory serves me right, versions (a) and (b) are rated for 11 MB/sec maximum speeds. If you decide to plunk down the extra change for the (g) router, you will definitely see some improvement and your download speeds will improve.

However, two things to note:
Even before the new version came out... most IPSs weren't giving you the full T-1 connection speed anyway! And they were never quired to give home subscribers a QoS (quality of service) in the first place. Here in Chicago, Comcast just upgraded their I-net connection speeds. I don't know how much they boosted their signal but I hear that it was significant. If that's the case in your area - you may want to consider the (g) version.

EDIT:

Dont' expect the g-version to be 4 times as fast the its predecessors. Those are theoretical "maximum" throughput speeds in an ideal setting. Realistically, you will might see 2/3 of that total bandwidth depending on the quality of your ISP's network.

Other variables such as how close you are to the ISP's node will also play a minor part.

Dayem..... for a kid you know how to find some good deals!

Those are fairly good prices considering their both for the new (g) version.

Ice9 said:
Also I don't need a newtworking card? or maybe that is what that is... sorry for my ignorance :(

Ice9, the wireless NIC w/ the link you posted IS the networking card. I told you earlier it's the same thing as the traditional NIC - with the only difference being it's wireless - that's the nice part about it... don't have to mess w/ the cabling (between the router and the computer). Especially if you're using laptop; you're free to roam anywhere in the house as long as you have a reception.

Now i've never used D-Link but i've heard mixed reviews of their networking product. However, w/ the rebates on those products - it would certainly be worth a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom