Wireless system...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice9

In Runtime
I am going to have my new comp in my room and i need to have wireless internet connection with the modem downstairs. So whatexactly do i need? Router, card and USb adapter? Also Frys has a wireless G cardbus adapter for 19.99 made by Airlink. Bestbuy has one from linksys for 59.9 plus 10$ mail in rebate. Is the airlink one ok? Frys also has a d link wireless g router for 39.99 is this ok> Then what else would I need... can you mix the adapter from linksys witht he router from dlink?

If your PC downstairs is connected to the internet via a modem, I don't see how you could connect that to a wireless router. It's two totally different protocols. Buying a wireless NIC or USB wireless adapater would be a far simpler solution.

EDIT:

Just to make myself clearer, Ice9, what i mean by my comment is that one is analogue (modem) and the other is digital (cable). Unless they have a special piece of converter whereby you can connect a modem signal line into a DSL/cable router, what you're asking to do is not possible.

Lone Wolf said:
If your PC downstairs is connected to the internet via a modem, I don't see how you could connect that to a wireless router. It's two totally different protocols. Buying a wireless NIC or USB wireless adapater would be a far simpler solution.

Uh what are those... whats the easiest... cheapest and I guess fastest way to do this.. i dont know much about it

Ice9, PCI network cards come in two basic types. Traditional wired type is just a standard PCI network card you install. Once you install it, you connect the CAT5 cable into the back of that card.

Wireless NICs you install (inside your PC) the same manner, but there is no open jack on the card, because it's replaced by an antennae. Wireless NICs are sort of expensive... usually around $45-50 depending the make and what sort of deals you can find.

However, as alternate solution, you can buy a USB wireless adapter. Instead of installing a wireless NIC, this external device comes with a USB connection (which you plug into your PC's USB port). Just go to a site like NewEgg.com if you're curious to see what it looks like and how it works.

i think you would get more help in the computer networking area. you may just want a guy who does networking for a living out there. just post in the computer networking area and you'll get better help.

Lone Wolf said:
Ice9, PCI network cards come in two basic types. Traditional wired type is just a standard PCI network card you install. Once you install it, you connect the CAT5 cable into the back of that card.

Wireless NICs you install (inside your PC) the same manner, but there is no open jack on the card, because it's replaced by an antennae. Wireless NICs are sort of expensive... usually around $45-50 depending the make and what sort of deals you can find.

However, as alternate solution, you can buy a USB wireless adapter. Instead of installing a wireless NIC, this external device comes with a USB connection (which you plug into your PC's USB port). Just go to a site like NewEgg.com if you're curious to see what it looks like and how it works.

well i might go withthe adapter idea but... wouldnt i still need a router?

compy said:
[B...just post in the computer networking area and you'll get better help. [/B]

Better advice eh? Hmm... if you think you know better, or think I've steered Ice9 down the wrong path, then go ahead POST your advice man.

Ice9 said:
well i might go withthe adapter idea but... wouldnt i still need a router?

Of course you do! I thought you knew atleast that much. If you buy a wireless nic or usb adapter, yoiu will of course need a wireless router. Otherwise, if you don't want to go w/ the wireless option, just buy a standard DSL/Cable router.

Incidentally, I saw a nice deal at MicroCenter last nite where they have a Belkin 4 port DSL/Cable router on sale for only $10 after rebates. Normally $50.

EDIT: In your situation since the pc connected via modem is located downstairs; it might be a good idea to go with the wireless option since you don't have to worry about running the cat5 cabling all over the house. This will mean that all the others PCs/ Laptops in your house will need a wireless NIC/adapter as well.

hey watch your self pal...i never said you steered him in the wrong direction...where the hell did you get that from? i was just saying to post there cause he would get more atentionl. also if he get a non-wireles router he may want to have some guy come out and run the cable if he doesn't want to...i'm just looking ahead man, don't flame on me.

compy said:
hey watch your self pal...i never said you steered him in the wrong direction...where the hell did you get that from? i was just saying to post there cause he would get more atentionl. also if he get a non-wireles router he may want to have some guy come out and run the cable if he doesn't want to...i'm just looking ahead man, don't flame on me.

Dude, you call that a flame?

Read in my posting again where I insulted your intelligence or swore at you. I simply made a point to you that if thought I didn't know what I was talkin about or my posting wasn't up to snuff - then go ahead and post your OWN advice. Simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom