URGENT* What in the world is going on? URGENT*

Status
Not open for further replies.

backup287

Daemon Poster
Well basically this is happening as i type so i will make this short, i needed room on my c: drive to install a new game so i unstalled oblivion and the expansions, oblivion freed up about 5 gbs and the expansion didnt free up anything! thats not the issue the issue is my c drive space is being drained slowly for some reason! it was at 20.1 and every few seconds it goes down by .1 its gone from 20.1 to 19.0 slowly .1 at a time please help!! im not downloading or torrenting!!

update: its at 18.7 now, could it be system restore making a restore point? how do i disable restore in vista

Re: URGENT* What the F*** is going on? URGENT*

Open Task Manager (Ctrl-Shift-Escape or Ctrl-Alt-Delete and select Task Manager), go to Processes tab, click View -> Choose Columns, and check IO Reads, IO Writes, IO Read Bytes, IO Write Bytes, and IO Other. These show what processes are transferring data. This usually means hard drive (but it might mean network, not sure, I use it to find out why my hard drive is clicking like crazy when I'm not doing anything). Look at ones that have the number constantly changing (getting bigger), as those are doing the most read/write operations.

Ok it seems steam had the most read/write things goin on, i wasnt downloading a new game or anything, maybe steam was updating a game?
anyways ive turned off steam ill post if im still losing hd space

(thanks for quick reply)

alrite bro seems to have stopped it, ive never noticed this before glad i can see how the memory is getting used in task, thanks again

Steam does a lot of hard drive access (it does that to me all the time). Not sure why it reads the drive so much, probably updating games (it does that a lot) and if you have a lot of games in Steam (I have The Orange Box) then it updates almost constantly. You can disable updates by opening Steam, selecting each game, and using its Properties dialog to disable updating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom