Whats the best processor I can throw on my Mobo ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

illnastyimpreza

In Runtime
Since all the new stuff is coming out in a month or so, I have decided to wait it out for the better pricing !

In the mean time, I want to try and see if I can beef up my dinosaur and get it to run AoC on the lowest setting(just to get started)

Whats the best processor I can throw on this mobo and get it to work? intell says the 3.06 p4...Intel® Desktop Boards - D845PECE

Would it even be worth it ??? if I pick one of those up on the cheap and overclock it to 3.5.... will I be ok ??

the rest of the computer has a 128MB AGP Radeon 9800 , 378mhz GPU clock speed (stock)
and 2 GB of pc2700 333mhz ram on a 19'' monitor I believe....I can use my 17'' if its too much for the 19''.

would I even be able to get playable frame rate???

A Pentium 4 according to that Site its Socket 478... You could put in a Core Duo (not Core 2 Duo)

so your saying I can put in a core dual processor on that board ? the intel site states:
"The Intel® Desktop Board D845PECE supports a single Pentium® 4 processor with a system bus frequency of 400 MHz or 533 MHz. The Intel® Desktop Board D845PECE also supports a single Celeron® processor with a system bus frequency of 400 MHz. "
is the " core duo" considered a single processor ?? :)

I can pick up the 3.0mhz p4 processor on ebay for like 20 bucks. and I could get the game up and running...

What else is involved when I swap the processor? is it pretty much just plug and play, like installing ram ?

Core Duo is a single core processor... and theres a good chance it won't work plus its really pricey

Stick with a 400/533FSB P4

What CPU do you have now? is it a 3.06 Ghz Pentium 4? Have you tried to overclock that at all? IMO, you'd be better to use that $20 or whatever towards a new rig.

What CPU do you have now? is it a 3.06 Ghz Pentium 4? Have you tried to overclock that at all? IMO, you'd be better to use that $20 or whatever towards a new rig.

no its only a 2.4

and yeah... I think I have kind of realized even if I get a 3.0 in there its going to BARELY run the game at all....

I'm currently scanning ebay and classifieds to see if I can put together a super bargain dual core with a decent GPU just to get AoC up and running.... hopefully using my old case and power supply, and spending no more than $300 :)

Hey Nasty for a guy in your shoes either the Athlon 4400+ or the E2180 will be your bestest of friends. If you got the money to spare go for Intel. If not then go for AMD. For low budget chips they perform decently well.

Hey Nasty for a guy in your shoes either the Athlon 4400+ or the E2180 will be your bestest of friends. If you got the money to spare go for Intel. If not then go for AMD. For low budget chips they perform decently well.

$400 huh ?? you know I might just have to check out the AMD stuff. It seems it really is much more affordable. Even though the new stuff comes NOWHERE near Intell....its definatly a viable option.

How do you like the performance? What kinda graphically demanding games are you playing or whatnot ??

an X2 4600+ could run crysis fine with a good card (I used to own one, and gave it to vernong. Now I've got an X2 6000+ at ~3450MHZ)
Core Duo is a single core processor... and theres a good chance it won't work plus its really pricey
Actually, Core Solo is a single core processor. Core Duo is a dual core processor

Wasn't Core Duo the dual-core that acted like a single core that would have the second core disabled, and when the first one failed it used the 2nd, or was that Core Solo

but either way its not worth it because this was back when Intel was crap at making processors, after using AMD and seeing how smooth it is, after coming from a Pentium 4, I'm not going back to Intel ever again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom