Need a High-res LCD Gaming Monitor - Good value, good price!

Status
Not open for further replies.

blayez

Baseband Member
What's up guys. I am currently looking into upgrading my Dell XPS 700 system a bit (adding up to 4 gigs of ram and looking into either SLI or a new 8800 or 9800 Geforce card ((upgrading from nvidia 7900 512mb gtx) and I'm looking for a good monitor to really show what my system can do. I am currently using the generic dell 19" LCD flat panel display that runs 1280x1084 max. I have had no problems with it, but I go over to my buds house and am totally amazed at his 21" LCD Widescreen montitor and its 1600x1084(i think) resolution. It just seems to make all the difference with these new games such as Lord of the Rings Online, Crysis, and Age of Conan.

I'm not going to have alot of money left over after purchasing my new card, ram, etc., but after selling my old card and possibly selling the monitor (I could hook up 2 monitors but don't really have the room or the need) I should have some spending money left. I have no idea what a good price for a monitor like his would cost but I'd like to look into it. The widescreen aspect is a must I think and adds to the experience. His 21" is plently big enough, but I'm curious to exactly how much the 24" monitors or somewhere around here might cost.

A good monitor is something that will not be very quick in "becoming outdated" and I think it would be a good investment for me to make. If anyone would like to help me take the time to look for a monitor from such places as Newegg.com or even Ebay it would be most helpful (I wouldn't mind even purchasing a used monitor if I could get a good enough deal and insure it was treated well). Any info would be most helpful! Thanks!!!!

Well.. monitors are pretty much self-explanatory as far as features and such. So just get a monitor within your price range (whatever that might be) :)

In a few weeks ATi and Nvidia will be releasing some new graphics cards and prices should go down, so watch for that. Are you adding 4gb to an already 2gb system or adding 2gb to an already 2gb system? You won't see any performance increase.

Could you give us more information on your computer? Use CPU-Z and GPU-Z and tell us more so we can help you with the upgrading process. :D

Oh, and SLi/Crossfire isn't such a good idea, and I doubt that your dell has an SLI capable motherboard if you don't have SLI already on there..

I'm adding 2 gigs to a 2 gig system. And it is SLI capable (ordered it especially to be just in case I ever wanted to upgrade). I have the extra GPU unit slot right there. :)

haha, I like your capitalization of "GPU Unit Slot" :rolleyes:

anyway, I mean the big slot (Yes, PCI i spose *sigh*) that says ADDITIONAL GRAPHICAL INTERFACE THINGY GOES HERE!!!!

That one...

As far as monitors go, a few people on here have had great success with the Acer 24in widescreen. It is what I plan to grab this summer.

Btw, you'd be much better off with one better card than SLI'ing your current card. Btw its PCI-E slot as they are completely different to a normal PCI slot. Im not trying to be all high and mighty just letting you know so you can use that knowledge to 'pawn' others in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom