MoBo question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eggcream

Baseband Member
Question about FSB on motherboards. I know what and how the FSB works but what confuses me is when im looking threw motherboards on newegg or something there are two numbers listed for the FSB sometimes even more. It looks like #/# FSB. Why are there more then one like when i look threw processors.

Good question. I never really paid much attention to that myself. Could be something to do with one number is standard and the other has something to do with overclocking.. Or something to do with different processor types. I'm going to have to look this up now because that is something I have never really thought of. I only ever looked to see that the FSB was high enough to support my RAM and CPU and let it be.

You mean like when it says 800/1066/1333 support?

You have to understand companies in the computer business look for anyway they can to say things that other companies products have not yet. Not becuase the ones that don't say something such as "vista certified" won't actually frickin work in vista it's just that it attracts the lesser informed people to buy that thinking thats what they need. The same holds true for motherboards. Actually any motherboards that can handle 1333 FSB will handle 800 and 1066 as well. it's just that some don't say that on the specs that they also support lower and it may steer some lesser informed who have an 800 FSB chip away. This way some companies be sure to put that it supports all 3 or at least 2 of them becuase it really does, not that the other one that only listed 1333 doesn't as well. I know that was confusing but i hoped it helped.

Thanks Sora that does help. But what were u talking about in your first responce when you said you said you just make sure the FSB can support the RAM and CPU, how do you dertime that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom