How to Increase Wireless Signal Strength ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katmandu

In Runtime
I have an IBM T31 with built in WiFi. I need to know how I can increase the signal (reception) strength.

The obvious stuff has been done. Move as close as possible to the signal source etc...

Is there some type of external (USB) adapter available for laptops that will INCREASE the WiFi signal strength (dbi) ??

BTW, I don't have control over the router's output signal.

There are USB adapters that you can look into, or broadband cards. I know I saw a DIY on Lifehacker.com where they took a USB wireless adapter and added almost like a small antenna to it and it was supposed to increase reception quite a bit. Mostly, though, the strength will be determined by the source. Meaning, if you are as close to the source as you can get, and the source is broadcasting as far as it is able, then there is nothing much you can do.

You could always get a better wireless router that has farther range capabilities, but as far as improving reception, that would rely on improving the range and signal quality of the wireless router.

You could always get a better wireless router that has farther range capabilities, but as far as improving reception, that would rely on improving the range and signal quality of the wireless router.
That's the problem. It's not my router.

That's the problem. It's not my router.

If you do not have control over the router or anything like that means you are trying to seal WiFi from someone else. Which is illegal and against our forum policy to discuss.

Closed.

If you are in a hotspot that would be a very different story but since you did not make any remarks as to that i have to make the call to close this.

If you wish to contact me Via PM to discuss this matter that is fine. But for future reference matters of this sort that are questionable at best will be closed in this manner. We at Tech-Forums do not promote or discuss such matters. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom