CD drive doesn't recognize data on CDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcschris

Solid State Member
I have a computer at my work that is having some issues with its CD drive. Whenever I put a CD in the drive, it spins like it is reading it, but then never does autorun. Also, if I go into My Computer and double click on the drive, it enters the CD in explorer and shows a blank screen, like what would happen if you put in a blank CD-R. I also tried this with an external CD drive and another internal drive with a different IDE cable and power cord and experienced the same issues. I also obviously tried multiple CDs that work on other computers. The problem seems to be with Windows XP only because the system can boot from CD fine. I have also attempted to re-install all the original drivers. Does anyone have any ideas for what to do besides re-install XP?

Thanks,
Chris

Could also be a driver realted issue. Go into the Device Manager and remoe the drive. Restart and have Windows install the device again.

I tried removing them from the device manager and restarting it last night but that didn't do anything. Then I let a repair run overnight. Everything went okay, but I am still experiencing the same problem (which doesn't make any sense.) If the problem is clearly isolated to windows, why wouldn't a repair overwrite all the files and fix the problem?

That's the thing, I also tried to use another drive (with seperate cables) and an external USB drive and I am experiencing the same problems.

Then it is neither the drive or the OS. But the connection on the mother board that is faulty.

What on the motherboard could prevent both a drive connected with and IDE cable and one connected through USB from functioning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom