New Build advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
i heard that u need to subtract 3.5GB with the memory of the GPU and thats how much RAM will be used

cliff try check in ur USER CP -> Options

I have "instant email notification" selected in my options?
I checked the email I am using and it seems fine and there is nothing from here in my junk or spam folders?

What do you mean by: "u need to subtract 3.5GB with the memory of the GPU and thats how much RAM will be used"

do you mean that if you have 4 GB of ram and your GPU uses .5 GB then you are using 3 GB? (3.5-.5=3)

Regardless, I thought that it was only 3 and not 3.5 GB of ram that xp32 uses so I might as well get 2 pairs of 2x1GB modules.

What is the best way to set up for back up? I use 1 internal and 1 external myself. but what is the best way? would it be to have a second internal that you ghost the main HDD from? It would seem better than using a patition?

Is RAID the way to go? (I need to study up on it) for backing up or is standard ok. RAID is good to make the seperate HDD"s act as one right.

anyway, thanks again for the suggestions, I can't wait to build something I wished I had so it is good practice and a good thing to have someone that wants the best (or better than most)

cheers

If you have a GPU that has 512MB of memory and u have 32-bit os

Total Memory That OS Supports - Memory Of GPU = Total RAM will be used

3.5GB - 512MB = 3GB of RAM that will be used

i dont think RAID is worth it. i think it slows down the hdd and maybe hdd will die faster not sure

i think u should go with 1 internal with 7200RPM and maybe atleast 5400RPM external. the internal will have the os and drivers and maybe the external will have files that wont give error on the other computer

check with a moderator with the email problem

I think that's only so if you have onboard graphics. I have 8600gt with 256MB and 4GB of ram and 32bit Xp sees 3.5 GB. (task manager displayes 3668396 kb of physical memory).

i dont think RAID is worth it. i think it slows down the hdd and maybe hdd will die faster not sure

i think u should go with 1 internal with 7200RPM and maybe atleast 5400RPM external. the internal will have the os and drivers and maybe the external will have files that wont give error on the other computer

check with a moderator with the email problem

I think that's only so if you have onboard graphics. I have 8600gt with 256MB and 4GB of ram and 32bit Xp sees 3.5 GB. (task manager displayes 3668396 kb of physical memory).

That is correct jantar, its the same reason that 1gb of VRAM sucks even more lol

Not exactly, most Quadro cards are too pricey for his build, he could easily get a FireGL (ATi's CAD Card) or get a cheap HD 2 or 3 series and softmod it to a FireGL card, and they usually perform better than the Quadro Series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom