Used Parts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokernod

In Runtime
I was looking around in the Buy/Sell/Trade section here (and on eBay) and I was wondering:

Which Desktop Computer parts are PERFECTLY ok to buy used
Which Are OK to buy used
And Which are "Dont even think about it" used
???

Buying here is a safe bet. We don't allow cheats to try to sell here. But posting in the B/S/T forum has a membership requirement, as does using the PM system here. One option is to use the "email member" link to send an email if you are interested in something.

Any part may or may not be good when bought used. A CPU is pretty tough, but they can die. A bad mobo looks just like a good one. And so on and so on.

Your best bet is to hang out here and browse the B/S/T. Many good deals flow through there. I bought my current system (well, most of it) there... I have upgraded it a few times times (CPU-traded GFX for it on here, GFX card, HDD). I bought my first Razer mouse on here, and then later sold it on here. I have also sold a sound card and a Logitech 5.1 speaker set here. :D

If you buy on eBay, go with buyer feedback and warranties.

But is, for instance, a used motherboard safe? I know the life expectancy on the old boards (PIIs, PIIIs) were practically forever, but I only know that now because I have a room full of them and 15yr old boards still work fine (And I wouldnt have guessed that 15yrs ago). But my compaq board went out after 2 yrs, and when I got online to see what might be wrong, I only found dedicated forums bursting with thousands and thousands of complaints about theyre MoBos going out, sometimes two and three replacements even, and with No help or refunds from Compaq.
I hate to sound panicky but I kinda am. I know.....reading about a piece of hardware that has stood up for three wonderful years still wont garauntee that they wont all start dropping off tomorrow. But like, Graphics cards are always pretty safe....normally, if they werent over worked or under powered.

I dont even know why Im even still typing.....Im looking for an answer that isnt there......Im sorry
Delete this stupid post please.

Edit: Im just looking at MoBos here and on ebay and craigslist and seeing some good deals on better boards then I could afford new and just wondering if its a "Too good to be true" kinda deal. Sorry again, its dumb.

No, not dumb, but if it sounds too good to be true...

Today's mobos run much faster and route much more power than the mobos of yesteryear. The more complex things become, the more fragile it grows.

Used mobos are sometimes okay, it's all about quality, tho. A cheap board will generally die sooner, higher quality ones last longer. The biggest thing to worry about is seller reputation. There have really been no problems here because members and mod staff watch the BST closely, plus the membership reqs and so forth. But if you buy something from John Doe over craigslist and it's DOA or dies quickly you're SOL. Craigslist doesn't have an adequate feedback system for that type of thing like a good forum (Heat) and ebay do.

RAM is usually fine used btw because any major manufacturer has a lifetime warranty on the product. So if it does die, if it's from a major manufacturer, just send for an RMA and you're cool.

But Im guessing It wouldnt be a good idea at all to try and buy a used PSU, huh? I mean every minute it runs is a minute off its life.

And parts like HDDs, and Fans are off the list, also being under "the longer they run, the closer they are to death" catagory.

I would agree, yeah. Used PSUs really aren't the way to go unless it was used very little. Same with a hd, especially if it's your main. You wouldn't want it to fail and be unable to recover your important data. Fans I'm not sure about, probably hit and miss. Case fans probably don't matter because they're so simple. CPU/GPU fans I think you'd be right about especially the more complicated ones meant for overclockers. Basic retail-style fans are pretty simple so I wouldn't be too worried.

For what it's worth I wouldn't really worry about a used cpu either as long as it's not too old and from a reputable seller. They last typically for a very long time as long as they're not overclocked or improperly cooled.

:eek: Ya Know, jorsoft03, Thats a great point! I really didnt think about the Processor as maybe being something I could save a little money on. I mean Im (Hopefully) only doing this "junk together" build for a year or two, until I can afford better stuff, and I KINDA was hoping the massive Hardware Innovations Boom ("Lets see how many graphics cards and motherboards we can put out in a single month! Ya Haa!") would calm down a bit and let me catch up (somewhat). Maybe I can get a PSU with my dwindling bank afterall!:D

:( I was looking at the system requirements for CRYSIS. That game will be free on Yahoo! Games before I ever get to play it! Jeez!:(

Well, I just got back from eBay......No Luck on CPUs. For what theyre going for, people should just be buying new. I really dont want less than that 4600+ and theyre going for $50 and change on ebay. By the time you pay shipping and get a fan and heatsink youve paid the price of a new one on Newegg.
Guess Im back to square one. Well two. I did get that 7800gt.

Used Motherboard is out too unless someone here has one.......Im just scared! If someone was tech enough to recognize a blownout capacitor or a burn spot on the board, Im afraid they wouldnt mention it in theyre auction and Id get stuck with a junk or dying board.....
Same with CPUs....I myself have bent a pin a time or two pulling them out and once you bend them back a couple of times they become weak and ready to break off altogether.

Guess I'll order what I can from Newegg or Pricewatch and try to sell this HP to get the rest later. I was SOOOOOO hoping to be up and running by this time next week. But ......Wish in one Hand......
Maybe this time next month is a more likely goal. *sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom