Fans, Dust, Pressure, Flow,....Explanation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokernod

In Runtime
I was reading somewhere once about positive and negative pressures being the the subject of good or poor fan setups. I cant find it now Or even anything close to it), but if I remember, it was explaining how a good fan setup keeps dust out, better air flow for cooling, and pressurizes (like an airplane cabin?) the case for some reason.
Now Unless its a brand new case with a fan setup already in place and the big "120" mounted on the access panel, even the nerdiest nerds that I know normally run theyre Com without the access panel attached. And Ive always done the same (no side panel).
So is there a genius here that can Breifly explain the importance of fan placement, and maybe explain this pressure thingy. Is it really important to close in all that stuff? It seems like it would build up more heat.
And although I understand the importance of keeping dust out, how effective can a fan setup be for keeping out dust. It just seems strange. It seems like the faster air is moving into the case, the more dust is going to go with it, even if you have fast air moving out also.

Also, I blow my Com out completely with a fullsize air compressor about every 60 days. Theres no harm in doing this, is there?

The only thing that is going to keep dust out is filters. In theory you want slightly negative pressure in the case (more exhaust than intake) to keep from getting hotspots. As long as you have a condensation filter on the compressor it should be fine. Just be sure not to overspin the fans with it, no matter how cool it sounds :p

You shouldnt run the PC without the side panels. The cases are designed to maximize air flow and utilize every fan and keep the PC cooler with the side panel on. That is how they are designed. Taking it off reduces the ability of the case to move the air effectively cause it is missing that whole side now.

So you eliminate part of the case which was designed to help you keep your PC cool. So now your PC can actually get hotter, epically in the summer, cause there is more air in the case for the fans to move around. Which in turn taxes the PSU more and so on.

I only run with my side panels off when i am switching out part or testing new parts. Other than that i keep it on all the time. Used my case for what it is designed for. Air flow.

The cases are designed to maximize air flow and utilize every fan and keep the PC cooler with the side panel on. That is how they are designed. Taking it off reduces the ability of the case to move the air effectively

Your right Im sure, and Im certainly not arguing (Im no computer pro for sure), I could certainly see your point with newer cases scientifically designed for maximum airflow and perfect (whatever) pressure......and I guess Im getting of of the topic a little with this......but for instance, my crappy HP 542x has one fan with that "Duct" thingy and no other fans to pump air out of the case. It doesnt take long for that single fan to be pounded with caked dust. And the heat inside is pretty high with it on. Ive thought seriously of just setting a house fan where that panel used to be to bring down case heat.
And I couldnt see any companies designing a case without the side even if it wasnt effective as you say, because of the potential danger of babies and cats/dogs sticking theyre noses in there. So are there no exceptions......really, Im just asking. (curious, and if you say otherwise, Im going to put my access panel back on, lol.....no seriously, I am.)
Maybe an experiment is in order.

Well i can see your point on the case from a HP or what not. But i have a Dell Dimension 8400 and i still leave the sides on it. Cause even with that single 120mm fan it was still designed for use with that side panel on. I bet if you closed up the case and monitored the temps you might see a drop in it by a degree or 2. Just because it isnt trying to move all the air from around it.

But at the same time if you use one of those 6" turbo fans and put that blowign right into your case. That would be of more assistance to you than putting the cover on it.

It is different for each person. I saw you should while veedub doesnt. Each person will give you a different answer. ;)

Ive thought a few times about cutting a hole in that panel and putting a large outward pointing fan on it. I just always kinda figured I'd sell it and didnt want people who wouldnt understand looking at it with a bent brow. It may be older, but Ive never let even a minute of dust build up in it.
But really, now, Its not even worth selling, for the money I MIGHT get for it, Id rather have an extra Computer.

Well if you keep the PC by all means mod it to have a fan on the side. It would only serve you more. Plus if you do it right you could still sell it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom