Not up to date on processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

VampD

In Runtime
I used to do a lot of research on the core 2 duos and even built an old e6600 and e6700s computer for someone. Since then I know they came out with the e6750 which were just supposed to be slightly better versions of their previous counterparts. However Ive been away for a while and now see theres all kinds of processors like the e8800 and e7200 models ( although the e7200 model is below the clock speed of a e6700 ). Can anyone give me a brief run down on these new models and how they compare? Also why does the smaller the nm number = the better and why?

You haven't missed much... The nm reduction is just a smaller architecture... The smaller it is, the cooler it runs, and the less power it takes... which all in turn cause a faster machine. The 8800 if I'm not mistaken is known for it's large caches. Don't let the Clock speeds distract you... there are a lot more to them than just that.

If you're a big OCer... than smaller nm is always better. Also, smaller nm usually means it's cheaper to mass produce too. So it's better and cheaper, that's exactly what you want! :)

You haven't missed much... The nm reduction is just a smaller architecture... The smaller it is, the cooler it runs, and the less power it takes... which all in turn cause a faster machine. The 8800 if I'm not mistaken is known for it's large caches. Don't let the Clock speeds distract you... there are a lot more to them than just that.

If you're a big OCer... than smaller nm is always better. Also, smaller nm usually means it's cheaper to mass produce too. So it's better and cheaper, that's exactly what you want! :)

Nicely put ;)

Yeah nm doesn't increase performance at all, but enables them to be clocked higher and usually lead to better over-clocks. Yeah pretty much any modern CPU will do fine. Seems GPUs are falling behind CPU performance these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom