$3000-4000 budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nunchuckles

Baseband Member
I thought I had already put this post up but for the life of me I cant find it, I must be going crazy...

Anyways :)... MOney MONEY yeah yeah, ive got a some burn... Been saving up for a while and lord knows its been a while... 5 years since ive changed PC, and I want the PC for GAMING, more games and Age of Conan!!! So its time to open up the wallet.

Case = Antec Nine Hundred
Processor = Q6600 (going to try overclocking for the first time :) )
Memory = OCZ Platinum 4GB (2x2GB)
Graphic Cards:- 2 x GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB
(hoping they gone down abit in price by now) Or is there better out there!!!

Hard drives = 2 x 150gb West dig raptors. Raid 0

Sound Card: X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion Series

Power Supply: How many amps do I need???

Mobo is the thing im most unsure of atm SLI compatible, space ect ect...

Still writting things down here and there as ive fallen way behind with the times with regards to PCs, been to busy with home cinemas.

If im way off the beaten track, just recommend me your dream $4000 system :). I wonder how different they could be. Or if I did have an old post just throw a shoe at me and point me in the right direction :).

Thanks for any help

Your build will not be close to $4000. We don't recommend you spend that much either.

You want a beastly rig? You got money to burn? Want to be up to date the longest?

Do yourself a favor and wait a month or so... just a little longer for the newer cards. The 8800 gtx is great and has lasted ages. But its about to be bumped out for good with all the new cards hitting the market soon.

Please wait.

Oh and if your stubborn and don't want too, then quad sli 9800gx2 would put you on top of everyone. If you really want to burn money, then also hook yourself up with a 790i, some DDR3, some kind of 45nm quad, and a better case.

i cant do much, at work at the moment, but real quick, definately dont get the 8800gtx, get either a 9800gtx or 8800gts (g92 512mb)

And that sound card is way overpriced

and imo raptors arent worth it, a good seagate 7200.11 hd will be fast enough

Thanks for the sound advice dude. Its not so much money to burn... Im as broke 90% of the time, but just finished a big install and figured I could spare this much. Yeah my research has not been overly extensive atm, as im still working like a dog, so it was basically whats expensive that got 5 stars :). But as you lot confirmed definetly not the way to go and more reading required.

During alot of my reading around I noticed afew ppl say the 9800 is just the 8800 series with pritty LEDs. But ive found the awesom sticky at the top, with good places to read reviews so im going to set aside abit of time for that.

So what new cards are coming out :O. I dont mind waiting, 5 years... 5 years 1 month its all good. Once again thanks for all the sound advice :D.

Thanks for the sound advice dude. Its not so much money to burn... Im as broke 90% of the time, but just finished a big install and figured I could spare this much. Yeah my research has not been overly extensive atm, as im still working like a dog, so it was basically whats expensive that got 5 stars :). But as you lot confirmed definetly not the way to go and more reading required.

During alot of my reading around I noticed afew ppl say the 9800 is just the 8800 series with pritty LEDs. But ive found the awesom sticky at the top, with good places to read reviews so im going to set aside abit of time for that.

So what new cards are coming out :O. I dont mind waiting, 5 years... 5 years 1 month its all good. Once again thanks for all the sound advice :D.
It's like a month away man. And these cards, even the low end ones, are expected to blow away everything. This is ATI and Nvidia. I am very excited myself.

Unless you want too blow it, I think you should wait for these cards, and then go juts for a $1,800 or less build. Possibly $2000. I can't say yet because I don't know what prices will be like,

But possibly a q6700,
750i ftw,
new cards (look at reviews on them first, we don't know what they will be like)
case is personal preference.

And I'm guessing you want to air cool?

Yeah if you've got the money go with a freaking pimped out custom water-cooled beastly monster of a PC :D

Seriously, it's tons of fun and super cool :)
2x9800gx2 is the best out right now but I would also recommend waiting a few weeks to buy a gpu.

Q6600 is the best cpu out right now (without paying way too much for barely any more performance)
Personally I would get an e8400 + watercooling + awesome ram and overclock like crazy (just for fun :))

Read my sig :) But replace the 680i with the 750i FTW board. Quad SLI just doesnt scale worth crap, i know, i had it. Just buy evga video cards and step up to the new cards next month when they come out :)

FYI, my rig plays conan at 1920x1200 all settings high and 2AA at 50-60 FPS.

Read my sig :) But replace the 680i with the 750i FTW board. Quad SLI just doesnt scale worth crap, i know, i had it. Just buy evga video cards and step up to the new cards next month when they come out :)

FYI, my rig plays conan at 1920x1200 all settings high and 2AA at 50-60 FPS.

Oooo sounds good im fed up of 800x600 :). Ill definetly wait for the new cards... with regards to water cooling, i was considering it, but this is my first build and I dont know how much is involved in it... Do it require removing the original heat sink and replacing it with a water block???

Plus I recon I wont need it, I dont think ill be clocking my CPU to robodiculous lvls yet :).

When you say case is a matter of preference, are they all designed to take any mobo, PSU, ect ect I wont encounter space problems with some will I???

Does anyone know of an artical about building PCs, thats relatively new all the ones ive read are based from 2000-2004... Would like to read a step by step on someone thats built a Motherload Rig, with regards to water cooling, SLI such and such... Oh quick question with regards to raid 0, while ive got so many helpful ppl on the line :D, is it done via software or hardware???

Mini SA over. And thanks for all help ppl.

No, they are not all designed the same. He means the style is a matter of preference. You still have to look at the cooling quality and other factors of the case. Such as compatibility with mATX, ATX (what you will want), or whether the case is mid-tower or full tower size.

If you want good suggestions for cases look at the latest from Thermaltake, NZXT, Cooler Master, and Lian-Li. There aren't many full step-by-step guides because it is so easy these days. But if you do need help in construction, we at Tech-Forums are here to help you through all that as well =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom