Power Supply Squealing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Looby

In Runtime
hey guys i cant take it anymore my PSU is squealing and killing me!!!

basically when the PSU is plugged in and you flip the switch on the back of it to the on position (without even turning on the computer) it emits a high pitched squeal noise. if i sit there and turn the thing on and off like 50 times it will stop but once i shut the computer down it might start again (with computer off even). also i dont know if it is relevant or not i have been noticing voltage spikes (+5v goes to like +7v etc.)

PSU is a BFG 650watt. i didnt have this problem until like a month ago. this PSU has been in 2 computers but is only a few years old.

it is NOT a fan i know that will be suggested but since the PSU is NOT on fans are not spinning so i know its not a fan. it seems like the squeal would be the symptom of a capacitor going bad but i can be sure. any help would be greatly appreciated

Is it an electrical squeal? Might be one of the components going out. I have heard some people running into this issue with the 8800GT. Certain cards have coils that emit a loud squeal. I'd put in for an RMA.

thanks guy thats what i figured i just wanted another opinion. the only thing that bothers me is i have to pay for shipping... no big deal i guess i just dont have a job so even $10 is killing me:)

Speaking of power supplies, mine is extremely dusty inside (I opened it, the fan was making this annoying sound) ...I didn't want to dust in there because I didn't want to break the thing, and I didn't want to get the crap shocked out of me. Is this dust gonna ruin anything? The rest of my case is nice and clean.

Speaking of power supplies, mine is extremely dusty inside (I opened it, the fan was making this annoying sound) ...I didn't want to dust in there because I didn't want to break the thing, and I didn't want to get the crap shocked out of me. Is this dust gonna ruin anything? The rest of my case is nice and clean.

unplug it and blow some compressed air around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom