No new kernel for Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

forrestcupp

Daemon Poster
According to this article, Microsoft has announced that Windows 7 will not have a new kernel. So I guess all the hype about minwin is deflated now.

In a posting Tuesday on the Windows Vista Team Blog, Chris Flores, a director on the Windows Client communications team, said that the successor to Vista – codenamed "Windows 7" – will not be all that much different from its predecessor.
In other words, Windows 7 really will be the next Windows Me.

Is that directly from Microsoft? No. That is a news source who says that Microsoft said it. Just like i can sit here and say Microsoft said they would use it. Sorry dont believe it. Not till there is a press relese FROM Microsoft.

Well, here's the official Windows Vista Team Blog.

Contrary to some speculation, Microsoft is not creating a new kernel for Windows 7. Rather, we are refining the kernel architecture and componentization model introduced in Windows Vista.

I guess that is probably more trustworthy than all of the speculation and hype out there.

MinWin isnt a new Kernel itself. It has been out for sometime now. They have been using it with the Windows Mobile technology for some time now. So again this does not say that they are not using MinWin. This just says they are not creating a new kernel. Just refining. Which could still be the MinWin kernel.

Meh, its like putting paint on an old rotted house... I remember they kept trying to use the same ancient Kernel for Mac OS, and it just wasn't cutting it anymore.. and we all know what happened when they buckled down and created a new kernel, a giant leap from their previous OS (OS9 to OS X)... I can only imagine windows with a new kernel.

MinWin isnt a new Kernel itself. It has been out for sometime now. They have been using it with the Windows Mobile technology for some time now. So again this does not say that they are not using MinWin. This just says they are not creating a new kernel. Just refining. Which could still be the MinWin kernel.

No, they didn't just say it was some unnamed kernel being refined. Read the applicable part of the quote again:
Rather, we are refining the kernel architecture and componentization model introduced in Windows Vista.
It's the same Windows Vista kernel that has been refined. It's not MinWin.

No read it. Same kernel architecture and componentization model.

No where does it say that it is the same kernel. Just same ways of writing the kernel. So they are going to use many things that they did in Vista in Windows 7. Until they flat out say that they are not using the kernel they could still be. Using hte same architecture and componentization can still be done on a different kernel.

Why must a arguement be brought out? Show me a exact quote from Microsoft that says they are not using MinWin. Not from 3rd party source that says Microsoft said. Till then i will not believe it. Cause as i already said. I can sit here and say they will use it. How is that any different from what this source said? It isnt. I got my sources at Microsoft too. Not one of htem has either confirmed or denied the MinWin Kernel. If people who work there have not said anything a 3ed party news source wouldnt know.

I just posted the article. I'm not the one who brought out the argument. Also, the 2nd link I gave is not some 3rd party news media; it's a Microsoft team blog by one of the developers.

You're basing everything you are saying on the one small quote I posted. If you read the whole blog (which is even backed up by other MS devs), you will see that his whole point in saying that is that they don't want to waste time developing a whole new kernel. That it would take them longer than they want to release it if they had to worry about making a new kernel.

If you take a step back and look at things, this is more believable than all of the 3rd party reports about MinWin. You can keep hoping if you want, but I'm taking the opposite road. I'll believe in MinWin when I see it.

I think the clue is in the name really, Windows 7... NT 7... another derivative of the NT kernel ? who knows, but I would think it very likely. After all, why break the habit of 16 odd years?

you will see that his whole point in saying that is that they don't want to waste time developing a whole new kernel.

Yet again you base this off the fact that you think MinWin is new. IT IS NOT NEW.

Plain and simple they have been working on Windows 7 since Nov of 07. That has been more than enough time for them to adapt this stuff to MinWin. Again not a NEW kernel. It is a rather old kernel. Been out for several years.

Again till i see the official press release from Microsoft i dont believe it. These are the same developers that leaked info about a new Plugin for Office 2007 that will never hit the public. Yeah they are real trust worthy.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom