Does using AC harm the battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have run with my battery in and i get the same amount with it plugged in or not plugged in. Dell Inspiron 1501. Just about a yer old now.

So, from what I gather, the only damage done would be from increased rate of wear, because the battery would constantly be charging... am I right in thinking this?

Is this the only problem?

I think I might buy a 9-cell battery at some point, and use the standard 6-cell most of the time, unless I'm going to need the mobility.

well when the battery is low i connect the ac to recharge it while using it so it can charge cz i dont like when the ac gets too hot

Temp changes and extreme temps will shorten battery life, usualy when you have the laptop plugged up your gaming or doing something a bit more cpu/gpu intensive and are possibly creating more heat, which in turn can cause damage to the battery, especialy with newer laptops as they run much warmer.

The best thing to do, depending on your battery, is to take it out when it is NOT needed, and charge only when the battery gets to a point where the laptop will turn on but windows starts to warn about the battery life, then let it charge completly with out the charger being removed.

Well i have taken out hte battery from my laptop as it does run on the power cord at all times. But the temp where it is stored i can not control. Some days it is nice others it is hot and i dont have a AC in this room.

With my laptop, i just make sure 2 or 3 times out of the month, that i let the battery run alll the way down until it sleeps by itself. And then let it sleep overnight. And then let it charge up fully before using it and that usually keeps the laptop battery lasting long.

So, from what I gather, the only damage done would be from increased rate of wear, because the battery would constantly be charging... am I right in thinking this?

Is this the only problem?

I think I might buy a 9-cell battery at some point, and use the standard 6-cell most of the time, unless I'm going to need the mobility.

The battery doesnt constantly charge, it stops charging once its full. At least thats how my laptop does it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom