1 Computer with Multiple Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prototype

Daemon Poster
Hi. Is there a way to have 1 desktop with multiple monitors for each user at the same time doing there independent work?

Nope. Cause it is hard enough for 1 desktop to use 2 keyboards/mice without getting some major problems.

I once saw a hardware device that did just this. I don't remember the name, but you might try some web searches with different combinations of terms.

I don't know how a workstation-class computer changes anything unless you set up a terminal server of some type.

No a workstation doesnt technically do this. Technically all they do is log off and log on under a different user account. They have it setup to where the login screen comes up when the screensaver comes up.

Helix you are thinking of something like a KVM switch. But for mice and keyboards instead of monitors.

From what i have seen this is not at all possible.

Yes that is a Virtual Machine. But that is no different than you logging off and having them log in.

the Virtual Machine will take the resources from your machine, also known as the host machine, and use them for the VM.

You can decide how much resources to apply to the VM but at the same time you will be cutting your down.

So if you have it use 1GB of your 2GB RAM your system will be down to 1GB while running the machine. At the same time you will have 2 systems trying to use the CPU. Which will tax it twice as much.

So overall you will be putting more pressure on your system and at the same time slowing everyone down in the process.

Yes that is a Virtual Machine. But that is no different than you logging off and having them log in.

the Virtual Machine will take the resources from your machine, also known as the host machine, and use them for the VM.

You can decide how much resources to apply to the VM but at the same time you will be cutting your down.

So if you have it use 1GB of your 2GB RAM your system will be down to 1GB while running the machine. At the same time you will have 2 systems trying to use the CPU. Which will tax it twice as much.

So overall you will be putting more pressure on your system and at the same time slowing everyone down in the process.

so this will work like have 2 users on the same time on their individual monitor?

Yes just move the VM to the 2nd monitor. But you will need to get them separate hardware to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom