DELETE windows.old folder...!

Status
Not open for further replies.
well thatz a gr8 idea n it worked ......
i got the live cd and deleted those files of windows.old
but dunno whether to delete the other 2 folders ...
$.windows.~bt
$.windows.~ls
are these folerd safe to delete or not...?

Actually this is easier to do than you think. ITs not about doing it "the wrong way". I tried formatting my old XP partition over the weekend and got the same issue. I'm using Vista and it wont let me kill my old xp windows folder. So its sitting there taking up 10g of space for nothing. Microsoft at its finest.

well i have deleted the windows.old folder that wasnt a problem at all....
i just wanted to save space that was my prime priority ..
well those two files which i have told in my previous post i duuno whether to delete them or not.......?
oherwise it isnt creating ne trouble....

Copy them to a different location or burn to CD then boot your PC. If it won't boot, you need them back where they were. If it does boot and you don't have problems, nuke the copied files.

Those folders are not needed. They are not common names used by Windows for anything but uninstall files or temp files storage. If you ever see a $ to lead off a folder name that is almost always the case.

Copy them to a different location or burn to CD then boot your PC. If it won't boot, you need them back where they were. If it does boot and you don't have problems, nuke the copied files.

suppose they dont boot .. then wat am i supposed to do .... reinstall the OS..?
ne other ingenious idea....

It will boot. The boot files are NOT stored in that folder. Please read my post. The boot files are keep in a hidden folder called "boot". The folder is hidden even with hidden files showing. It is a system protected folder that you have to turn off that setting as well to see it.

That is either a uninstaller or a temp folder. That is it.

yeah thnx nothing happened ....
but how these folders were formed . i mean its prety weird never seen these kind of things happening before.. ne wayz ...
so from where do i can access the boot folder.....?

Why do you want to access the boot folder? What is it you are trying to accomplish? the reason i am iffy about telling you how is that WILL make it so you can not boot. If you just want to remove a entry from the boot loader there is better ways.

well its just curiosity i am not going to make a gr8 deal out of it...
its just that Microsoft still keeps the confidential matter very much hidden and i love to tamper those just out of curiosity and knowledge thatz it...
but i would appreciate if u tell me about it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom