AMD mistake??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uh, I don't quite get what you're saying.

There shouldn't be any compatibility issues if you
a) use a motherboard that's the same socket as the CPU (an exception is where AM2 CPU's will work in all AM2+ motherboards, AM2+ CPU's will work in a lot of AM2 motherboards, and AM3 CPU's will work in AM2+ motherboards, and a lot of AM2 motherboards)
b) use RAM that's supported by the motherboard and CPU combo (socket 939 = DDR, socket AM2/AM2+ = DDR2, socket AM3 = DDR3)
c) use a video card that's of the same interface as the motherboard has (AGP or PCI-E. It will most likely be PCI-E)
d) have compatible drivers installed in the Operating System of your choice

It should not matter what brand chipset your CPU, motherboard or graphics card has.

You can use either ATI or Nvidia graphics cards in AMD systems

Even if you have a motherboard that has an AMD/ATI chipset, you can still use an Nvidia graphics card

similarly, if you use a motherboard with an Nvidia chipset, you can use an ATI graphics card

I just wasn't sure why most of every benchmark pairs ATI with AMD and Nvidia with Intel so I wasn't sure because with my current system set up, I feel it should be running quicker than it should. What is this "bottlenecking" that has been mentioned. Is that basically your GPU is too fast for your CPU to keep up so it isn't at max performance. Maybe that is happening..

I just wasn't sure why most of every benchmark pairs ATI with AMD and Nvidia with Intel so I wasn't sure because with my current system set up, I feel it should be running quicker than it should. What is this "bottlenecking" that has been mentioned. Is that basically your GPU is too fast for your CPU to keep up so it isn't at max performance. Maybe that is happening..
AMD acquired ATI, so that's one reason why ATI cards are often paired with AMD CPU's

doesn't mean you can't use Nvidia cards with AMD CPU's, or ATI cards with Intel CPU's

In fact, ATI licensed Intel to add crossfire support in their chipsets (currenty there are x38 and x48 chipsets that support it)

And yes, your CPU might be bottlenecking the card you have.
You can overclock it, or you can upgrade to a Phenom 9850 and overclock it - your board would need to be flashed with the Foxconn C51XEM2AA P36 BIOS for Phenom support; the C51XEM2AA is exactly the same board
or you could go with a new board and CPU from Intel

ohh okay, a legal thing. I was thinking it was more of a performance oriented pairing.

I'll post a 3d mark soon. I'm currently away from home, and I've been on my laptop

ohh okay, a legal thing.
No, it isn't illegal or something to use an Nvidia card with an AMD CPU, or an ATI card with an Intel CPU.

I think it's more just that people who are a fan of AMD, tend to buy AMD processors and ATI cards (since they're now from the same company)

Also, Nvidia G92 cards do have the performance lead (in single card configurations, at least), as well as Core 2 processors being faster overall than AMD's K8 processors (K8 = Athlon 64; Phenom processors are K10, and are competitive in performance against Core 2's)

though ATI's 4870 cards are coming out soon, as well as Nvidia's new cards (called GTX 280 and GTX 260)
It's too early to tell which cards will take the performance lead, but I'm thinking it will be close.

Right now I'm planning on upgrading my processor. It has been suggested to get a 5000+ Black Edition and clock it up to 3.2Ghz. Right now mine is running at 2.7, but I don't think my chip overclocks well. I tried it once, and my system freaked. I've heard something about bottlenecking, and I was wondering if maybe I'm bottlenecking my 8800gts with my chip I have right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom