AeonCraft or Gateway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ducky11

Beta member
Im looking to buy a new laptop for college, im a somewhat heavy gamer so im pretty much looking at gaming laptops. I have a budget of between $1600-$1900 though im trying to keep it closer to $1600 if I can help it.
The two computers ive been thinking about are the AeonCraft Craft 9085:
17" 16:10 Wide Screen WSXGA+ 1680x1050 LCD
AMD® Turion™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor TL-66 [2.3GHz, 1MB L2 Cache]
4096MB(2048MB X2) DDR2-667 PC5300
512mb ATI Radeon HD2600 PCI-express graphics card
160 GB 5400rpm hard drive
plus some other extras for about $1600

Or the Gateway P-172S FX Edition:
17.0" WXGA+ Ultrabright TFT Active Matrix (1440 x 900 max. resolution)
Intel Core2 Duo Processor2 T5750 (2.00GHz, 667MHz, 2MB L2 cache)
3072MB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (1-1024MB & 1-2048 MB module)
160GB 7200rpm hard drive
NVIDIA GeForce 8800M GTS with 512MB graphics card
plus some other extras for $100-$200 more

The aeon seems like a better buy however ive read mixed things about the company and their products seem to be hit or miss so I am unsure. Are either of these computers right or is there another computer within my price range
that would serve better? Any suggestions or advice would be most apreciated.

Thanks

Check out Custom Gaming PC, Desktop Computers, Workstations, Notebooks, Servers & Components

I can't speak for Aeoncraft, don't know much about them. Gateway is usually good but they can be a little overpriced. Avadirect is a smaller company but they're one of the best out there, good prices and service, check them out.

Also check out Asus and MSI laptops on Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!. Some of the best for custom builds and Asus especially is very reasonably priced. I'm sure you can save $200-300 by looking at these options.

I have an HP Pavilion DV9700T that cost about $1850 or so (don't quite remember, I ordered it with a monitor and backpack case so it came to a bit over $2000).

Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 (2.5GHz/6MB L2)
3GB DDR2 SDRAM (1x2GB, 1x1GB)
250GB 5400RPM SATA HDD (also has an empty drive bay to add a 2nd SATA HDD)
1680x1050 17" BrightView Display
nVidia GeForce 8600M GS 512MB PCI-Express
Integrated webcam, fingerprint reader, and stereo microphone
Consumer IR port with ExpressCard remote control for Windows Media Center and HP QuickPlay
Available HDTV Analog/Digital Tuner (ExpressCard) and full sized Media Center Remote
HDMI, VGA, S-Video, Composite outputs
WiFi a/g/n and Bluetooth
Gigabit Ethernet
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 (Home Premium also available if you want to save money)

This laptop is 17", has a good 1680x1050 resolution, and has a much better CPU than either of those laptops you mentioned. It also has a bigger HDD. The 8600M GS isn't the fastest laptop GPU out there, but it is very capable (runs Half Life 2 at almost full 60FPS, all the games in Orange Box run fine). Don't expect to play Crysis on it though, the SP Demo ran at 1024x768 with settings on medium at a decent frame rate.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! After some thought i decided to go for the Gateway P-172S FX Edition. The graphics card was just too good to pass up! Im a bit worried about the wimpiness of the cpu. Will 2 ghz give me problems or is it good enough for gaming? I guess if worst comes to worst i can always upgrade it for 300$.

I would definitely get a better CPU than the T5000 series...That's way low, I got the T9300 and it's pretty nice, could've upgraded to the T9700 (2.6GHz) but didn't because it was another $200. I would definitely go a bit higher, at least a T8xxx if not a T9xxx. The T9300 is pretty good for gaming.

What games do you play? Some games require intense physics processing, so a slower CPU would definitely be a problem, while other games don't need as much CPU as they need GPU.

I was hoping on atleast medium/medium high settings on games for a while. I play some fps so i no the demands can sometimes get pretty high. To be honest ive been stuck playing year old games for a while now due to the crappiness of my pc which can barely, and i mean barely run oblivion on the lowest of low settings... lol

Could it deal with crysis by anychance ive been backed up on my gaming untill now that ive freed up the budget for this so oblivion was the last game i bought quite a while ago...

The gateway should be able to play Crysis with high settings dx10. Most new games are gpu intensive anyways so having a good graphics card is more important than a slightly faster cpu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom