Advice for upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePHD

Beta member
I don't know exactly what type of motherboard I have but it is older and is socket A I THINK so I might need to just build a whole new PC. My video card is dead and I think I need to upgrade a lot of things

What I have now

Athlon XP 1800+ (overclocked at 2200)
Geforce 6600GT (I think it died though)
300W power supply.
1 GB ram

This thing struggles to run Hitman Blood Money so it really sucks

I wouldn't be opposed to getting new everything but it needs to be sorta cost effective so no super computer upgrade for now. I obviously need a new processor and video card. Would like 2b of ram as well and a better power supply. Won't rule out the possibility of a new motherboard.

I don't need a PC that can run Crysis on the highest settings but it should be able to play things like Oblivion or Doom.

Yes I can reuse a case and HD. and could I get anything decent for around 400ish?

It doesn't look bad for a budget PC but are there any good AMD processors that aren't too expensive? My family has always used AMD and I hear that Intel dual cores sorta suck.

No that is completely the opposite way around.

Intel has dominated the market since '06, there are some rumours of AMD coming back with the new series but you can't be to sure.

The e2180 is a great chip and with a lot of overclocking can blow any amd out of the water (probably not blow but with high overclocking is pretty good)

If you want something more powerful you could look at the E7200 which is only a bit more and can perfrom better.

It doesn't look bad for a budget PC but are there any good AMD processors that aren't too expensive? My family has always used AMD and I hear that Intel dual cores sorta suck.

And the other myth about AMD's being cheaper isnt really true either, because while a similar clocked cpu thats AMD maybe be alot cheaper, an Intel chip some 0.4ghz or so behind usually beats it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom