Advice Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
All right, hows this looking: bear in mind I've left out the gfx card for now - its slightly over budget when a gfx card is added in but I don't mind that....

Case - Antec 900

PSU - Corsair HX 620W

CPU - Intel Q9450

Mobo - Asus Striker II Formula nForce 780i

RAM - OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) PC2-6400C4 800MHz Reaper HPC

HDD - Barracuda 7200.11 500GB

DVD - Pioneer DVR-215DBK 20x DVD±RW SATA

Don't get the 620hx get the 520hx its the same thing the 100w diff is from the 3.3/5v Rails that power HD's

It'll be really funny when Maroon is still going to be recommending Intel, and then Apokalipse will be showing benchmarks showing how much AMD is pwning with overclocks lol

I've been reading some of the info on Nehalem and it should be quite a bit faster than Core 2 clock for clock and at IDF Intel demonstrated a Nehalem quad core with hyper threading running at 3.2 ghz so it seems to be able to reach pretty good clock speeds. Considering how badly most 65nm Phenom's overclock it is possible that a stock Nehalem could be fast enough to beat an overclocked 45nm Phenom. To be fair its also possible that the 45nm Phenom's will be amazing overclockers and Intel will get owned like Netburst all over again. It's really to early to draw conclusions about Nehalem.

That was just a hypothetical example.. but who knows.. both are starting all over with their architecture

but TBH Apokalipse isn't like that, as he would say "I'd never stoop to that level"

do we have any idea about prices or release dates?

Edit: Have done some digging around, looks like the high end parts are being released in Q4, with the mainstream (affordable) parts coming in H1 09. Performance estimates are 20-30% over the current penryn based chips - that's good but not necessarily worth waiting potentially a year for. What worries me though is that its on a new socket, 775 will be obsolete next year, does it make sense to buy a platform whose days are numbered? especially when you only replace your PC about every 5 years? Is it worth while waiting for the new socket - assuming that socket will last as long as 775 has?

As i'm holding back for the new gfx cards and am not going to use SLI, how about replacing the striker with one of the new P45 boards?

Does anyone know when they're out?

i suggest u get 3 to 4 gb of ram ddr2 ... quad or dual core proc. intel .. graphic card .. in the 8000's . nvidia for sure .. oh and ... DONT EVEN THINK OF VISTA

noted, but thats a bit too generic, I'm looking for specific components. And I'm waiting for the new graphics cards btw so it won't be a 8800 or even a 9800.

The proc i'm sure of, the mobo - I'm thinking of a P45, RAM I haven't decided whether DDR3 is worth it or not (bear in mind i'm not overclocking.

And yes, i'll be installing my copy of XP pro.

i suggest u get 3 to 4 gb of ram ddr2 ... quad or dual core proc. intel .. graphic card .. in the 8000's . nvidia for sure .. oh and ... DONT EVEN THINK OF VISTA

I will say this right now. Do not start the Vista bashing and the Vista VS XP Wars again.

There is nothing wrong with Vista. If someone chooses to use it that is their choice. It is not yours. You do not have the right to tell someone what OS they shoudl be using. Vista is not that bad for gaming or any other purpose.

3GB or 4GB will do no good unless you are running Vista x64. More is not always better. 2GB is the sweet spot for XP gaming.

I used to bash Vista, but have come to realize that it is like XP was when it came out. The two biggest problems I have with Vista is there are some gaps in drivers (not MS fault) and MS is trying to force everyone to move to Vista (definitely MS fault). But, as an OS, Vista's not bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom