AMD mistake??

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonKerz

In Runtime
Have I been making the mistake of running AMD 64 bit processors? It seems to me that I may have some compatibility issues with my build (see below) and that my system may run better if it was Intel based. I've also noticed a trend with Nvidia being paired with Intel and ATI being paired with AMD, so should I be running an ATI card instead of Nvidia?

In short No.

My mobo is an x38. It supports crossfire, which is ATI, and is an intel chipset. You have the opposite of mine in a way. That is not a bad thing.

The mobo functions flawlessly, and I am running an 8800 gt 512 on this mobo, not an ATI card.

If your trying to say your system would run better with a better processor... Well then I cannot argue that can I? But your build is fine, you have a great gpu.

I am running an AMD chip in a Nvidia chipset board, running an ATI card. There are no real issues with that. Besides, your setup is better than mine.

What issues are you having, BonKerz? We will try to determine if they are hardware or software, and how to resolve them.

Have I been making the mistake of running AMD 64 bit processors? It seems to me that I may have some compatibility issues with my build (see below) and that my system may run better if it was Intel based. I've also noticed a trend with Nvidia being paired with Intel and ATI being paired with AMD, so should I be running an ATI card instead of Nvidia?
Yes, you can run an AMD card in an Nvidia motherboard.. and vice versa. You just can't crossfire/SLi.

What compatibility issues have you noticed. If you feel your not getting the max performance out of your build, do some benchmarks and compare your results with similar builds. 3DMark, SuperPi, and many other benchmarking utilities will do you justice.

Good luck with finding your problem :)

Yes, you can run an AMD card in an Nvidia motherboard.. and vice versa. You just can't crossfire/SLi.

What compatibility issues have you noticed. If you feel your not getting the max performance out of your build, do some benchmarks and compare your results with similar builds. 3DMark, SuperPi, and many other benchmarking utilities will do you justice.

Good luck with finding your problem :)

That is what benchmarks are for?!?!

I thought they were for who's e-peen is bigger... boy was I wrong.

That is what benchmarks are for?!?!

I thought they were for who's e-peen is bigger... boy was I wrong.

Lol.. yeah your right, but in his case, with his supposed compatibility issues he should notice a big difference. If you aren't having any kind of compatibility issues then yeah. Your more than likely going to get 10 3Dmarks over the last guy and brag about it. :rolleyes:

ah okay, yeah it just doesn't feel like it is running as fast as it should. I'll run a benchmark, but where could i find benchmarks for similar system builds? I guess i'd just google 3dmark benchmarks and find some similar hardware.

Uh, I don't quite get what you're saying.

There shouldn't be any compatibility issues if you
a) use a motherboard that's the same socket as the CPU (an exception is where AM2 CPU's will work in all AM2+ motherboards, AM2+ CPU's will work in a lot of AM2 motherboards, and AM3 CPU's will work in AM2+ motherboards, and a lot of AM2 motherboards)
b) use RAM that's supported by the motherboard and CPU combo (socket 939 = DDR, socket AM2/AM2+ = DDR2, socket AM3 = DDR3)
c) use a video card that's of the same interface as the motherboard has (AGP or PCI-E. It will most likely be PCI-E)
d) have compatible drivers installed in the Operating System of your choice

It should not matter what brand chipset your CPU, motherboard or graphics card has.

You can use either ATI or Nvidia graphics cards in AMD systems

Even if you have a motherboard that has an AMD/ATI chipset, you can still use an Nvidia graphics card

similarly, if you use a motherboard with an Nvidia chipset, you can use an ATI graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom