Planning Laptop Case Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

trekkie00

In Runtime
Recently, one of the hinges on my laptop broke. It's an old Compaq V5000 series (V5206OM specifically - Sempron 3300+, 15.4" widescreen) that I've had for about a year and a half. I checked online and it would cost about $50 just to get another hinge, not counting the $120 for the new battery it needs. Thus, I've given up trying to get it into "good shape" rather than spend a quarter the computer's original value on repair work.

I figured that since the main problem is with the case, it would be an excellent excuse to try a case mod. I was thinking about just separating the LCD and body and putting them on the inside of a large 3-ring binder with some supports to keep the LCD up and possibly something to incline the keyboard.

Is there anything I should be really concerned about (functionality wise)? I really don't care if it looks good, I'm kinda hoping for uniqueness.

I would, of course, dub it the "C-C-C-Compaq!".

i say turn it into a desktop...remove the lcd screen from the case and mount it on a wall (a monitor that thin on a wall would look sick. But if you still want it for a laptop (portable) then you should really watch the grounding of the mobo in this binder idea you have.

The motherboard/keyboard/disc assembly would all still be in once piece - I'd like to keep it working right :p. I'd just be separating the other hinge and finding a way to mount both sections individually.

^oh i get you. Well thats not really a case mod then. It shouldn't be to difficult. I don't really have any tips for something like that though (i have only modded 2 cases myself)

My friend was looking at doing something similar to this but involving a custom metal chassis out of aluminum.

It never came to fruition but if you want to stick in into a binder I gotta say that sounds like the fugliest thing I think I've ever heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom