so just HOW good are the new video cards going to be ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
With crossfire, you can put a bunch of different cards together, and nvidia is not the only ones coming out with new cards.

If i was you I'd wait another month n' half and see what cards are best to buy.

yeah this is probably what I will end up doing... untill then I'll just keep surfing the forrums and making my brain bigger :p

Right now I've been scanning ebay and the classifieds looks for CHEAP *** deals and bargains to see if I could part together a basic dual core machine with a decent video card good enough to just get AoC running ok on medium graphics...for like 300 bucks :)

Off topic, but in regards to justifying the purchase of these new cards:

Are there any games coming out that will surpass the necessity of a more powerful gfx card over something like Crysis? I've seen screens of farcry 2 and im not so sure the game will run any worse and maybe even better with that Dunia engine.

My 9800gx2 can't even handle age of conan.

so yes. things are only going to get worse.

if you're the type who doesnt care about using top settings and the highest resolution your monitor can handle, then no you wont need to. I've spent a small fortune on this pc and monitor so i'd like to be able to get the most out of whatever I play. things get demanding at 1920x1200. heaven forbid I save up and buy a 30" for 2560x1600 XD

Depends what you want to do. For most people. No. For people like me, yes.

This is why i LOVE my 19" wide which delivers a perfect size/performance ratio IMO. If i want bigger i will stream out to my 27" LCD TV which has 1366x768 heh.

lol. i love the real estate. yeah it kills performance but the more i can see the better. Doesn't necessarily have anything to do with makign things larger per say. just more of it on at once. Playing supcom or c&c3/starcraft 2 on a 30" at 2560x1600 would be intense.

assuming your pc wouldnt turn to slag. and assuming you could find a 30" that was any good for gaming.. that also wouldn't cost a kidney or two. ; ;

I agree that playing on a 30" screen would be quite intense so thats why many people use LCD TV's to maintain a very large size at a low resolution.

yeah. I've never seen the picture of running a game at that big on low res so i can't really make a judgement on it. But running 1440x900 on this 24" is kinda gross and chunky lookin. Unless HDTV's do something different with how they display things there's no way i could us one to play any game that i'd actually care about quality (like oblivion, aoc).

Though playing something like halo 3 on a huge tv would rock. of course that game's designed to run on tv's so I don't know if that'd make a difference either. lol

but 1440x900 is not your 24" native resolution. That makes a big difference where as 1366x768 is on a 27" lcd tv.

so it doesn't matter what resolution something plays at, as long as its the native resolution? So an hdtv playing at 1366x768 would look the same as a 24" at 1920x1200, except bigger? because that would be awesome, and completely different from how i viewed things lol

so it doesn't matter what resolution something plays at, as long as its the native resolution? So an hdtv playing at 1366x768 would look the same as a 24" at 1920x1200, except bigger? because that would be awesome, and completely different from how i viewed things lol

Well sort of but not exactly. A monitor will always look best at it's native resolution becuase thats what it was engineered and designed to look best at. I believe that playing only 1366x768 (720p) on a smaller lcd tv looks quite good. Probably not as clean as your 24" at 1920x1200 just becuase of the more lines it displays but from what I hear on a smaller lcd tv 720p games look quite good. The refresh ratio on 720p os only 60hz though which should be okay though.

EDIT: Just imagine this.....the larger the screen and the lower the resolution, the more blocky the screen becomes. At a 26 or 27" tv 1366x768 being it's native resolution looks pretty good especially if you sit back a little they say. Once it increases though such as 32 and up the screen is a little too big for such a low resolution, this is where 1080p comes in and makes things look great again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom