PC Mod question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhgunit

Daemon Poster
Could you use a refrigerator as a case? I have a mini fridge that I don't use and was wondering what would happen if you put computer parts in it as a case?

well... you'd have to keep it extremely cold, and be able to vent air out, like more ventilation then is already in place, and on top of that, you would have to deal with condensation which would ruin your parts.

Moisture can be dealt with using di-electric grease to prevent shorts.

The biggest problem with a mini fridge is that the compressor isn't meant to be run continuously. It is designed to have warm food put in and then that food cooled down, and kept cool.

With a computer inside it would have to run constantly as it would always be removing heat and you would kill the compressor in short order.

This same question was asked a few weeks ago :p

Obviously moisture is a big problem, why not try water cooling or something out there like Dry ice.

Also i watched a video on Vegetable oil cooling. All you have to do is take all the fans of the computer (including the psu fan and gfx card) and then submerse the motherboard (with the other parts plugged in) in a tank or some kind of holder for the vegetable oil.

Also you have to keep the floopy/cd/dvd drives and hard drive out of the oil. But everything else can go in.

Edit: It's also recommend that you get a pump or filter thingy that would be capable of pumping oil around, so that's a no go on the fish tank pump :p

I think if you used very high speed fans the torque they produce would be enough for them to spin pretty readily and they would in fact create flow in the oil.

vegetable/Canola oil isn't incredibly viscus.

OK, another question. If I spray paint a light coat of UV paint on a clear window, and put a UV light inside my computer......will it glow on the opposite side of the glass?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom