XP: where are all my files

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocrulzs

Beta member
i dont know what happened but suddenly my XP is back to basics. i cant see any programs at start up and all my files and songs seems to have been deleted. it hasnt deleted any programs yet because when i go to add remove programs, it still shows all the programs. can anyone tell me what is going on? and if there is any way i can recover my files. i tried system restore and it doesnt work for m.
anything else that might be of help to me?
thanks

Sounds like a virus, but of course it could just be Windows XP restore.

I have never heard of anything like this, did you or somebody else do anything?

well its kinda weird but one night when i was kinda stoned.. i was playing around with the user accounts and then i also played with the bios information. but i checked the user accounts and the accounts are all the same. in the bios information, i might have played around but seriously, even if i did do something in it, i cant see how that should affect my settings. my mp3 files from my music are all deleted but the music in the my shared folder is ok. the start menu doesnt have any programs listed except accessories but the programs are still installed as shown by the control panel. i am in a terrible mess. any have clues. could it be that the files are all there somewhere just the links are deleted ? and i dont think its a virus. any words on this one people ?
thanks

by the way kangaroo, if you really look like that actress, would you kindly consider me for a date :).... when my comp gets fixed :)

What settings did you toy around with in user management?

You might have accidentally reset your user profile, which would remove all of your files in say your My Documents, My Music and any other "My" folder.

Easiest way to tell would be to search for a file name that you know you had on your computer before you started messing around. If it's still there, you have a hope, if not..... sorry bud.

yeah i checked for some files and its not there. i guess i lost all my files then just because i reset the user accounts. moral of the story would probably be never get stoned and mess with computers. thanks anyways guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom