Installing XP: Setup did not find any hard discs installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aesrin

In Runtime
Hello forumers,
I have an HP dv9740ca notebook with vista installed on it. I also have windows xp that i want to put on there.

When i try to install the xp (which is legitimate, before the question comes up), i get a message saying 'Setup did not find any hard discs installed on your system'. I'm told this is because the notebook has two hard drives in raid, and the setup can't find the raid driver. The issue is HP doesn't make the driver for xp, i called them and they basically told me to shut up and enjoy my vista. Also, because the machine is an HP i can't do anything in the BIOS that may help.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how i could install XP on this machine? :S

You are missing SATA drivers on the XP Disc. You will need to go to the HP site and download the SATA drivers and put them on a CD or USB Thumb drive and use that at the F6 to install 3rd party software stage at the very beginning of the XP isntall.

Can also use Autostreamer or nlite to slipstream the drivers into the XP CD.

I can't find the drivers, and HP said they don't make them because the computer never shipped with XP. They aren't on the HP site.

EDIT: Thanks for the remarkably quick response

This is a easy way to find out what drive you need, may take a bit to set up but it will work and its a good tool to have.

ubdcd 4 windows
ubd4win.com I think is the website. Once you download the files you will have installed Bart PE and Autostreamer and you will need a copy of windows xp with sp2. If you dont have the install with SP2 on it you can download the sp2 install file and use autostreamer to make it sp2.

BartPE + a copy of Windows CD copyed to a dir on a hard drive
"C:\WINXPSP2"

once you have the cd copyed you can use BartPE to target it. This will then make the boot disk into a ISO file.

Take the ISO and Burn it to a CD.. Boot the computer up...
once in the Windows Mode from the CD you need to open the program
"unknowndevice" this will tell you the name of the SCSI Drive ether be ATA or RAID.

or find a boot disc that has the option to tell you all the unknown device.
goto driveguide.com and download. Then just do what Mark said use a USB thumb drive or a floppy disc and on Windows Setup Screen you will see the first thing that comes up " HIT F6"

I am having the same problem with come custom Labtops here in Iraq and I think there just burned out bc once i detect the drive and format the partion it ask me to insert the disk again and it wont detect grrrrr...

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom