Upgraded RAM to 2GB on Dell Demension 3000 but.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

hesson81

Baseband Member
I upgraded the Ram on my Dell Demension 3000 from 512mb to 2gb, I bought two Corsair 1gb sticks from Newegg.com.

I'm happy with the price, how ever, I couldn't find any direction on how to install the Ram. So All I did was simply take out the two 256mb sticks and put in the new 1gb sticks. At start up got the "system Memory has changed" yada yada yada, continued. Business as usuall.

how ever now when the Computer is just on and or other situations, A blue Screen pops up and I can hear clicking coming from the Inside of the computer, For sure it's some abnormal clicking.

The Text on the Blue Screen says something to the effect about hard ware malfunctioning, ..... especially true if you just recently upgraded memory,....restart computer...if it continues to happen run system diagnostic.

Is anyone familiar with this Blue page???
I didn't run the System Diagnostic because I don't know how? How do I do this? What are other things I can do to trouble shoot this problem?? Thanks so much....

Jeff

A clicking noise can be an indication of a mechanical failure in your hard drive. But to be 100% sure it isn't something else in the PC you should try and download Memtest 86, burn the ISO file to a cd and startup the computer with that cd to run a memory test to make sure the ram isn't defective.

you can automattically assume the memory is not the problem. As already stated, it usually indicates hard drive failure. I would try just adding one stick at a time to see if it will boot differently. Sometimes they just do stupid things like that:)

Also give us the STOP error code that's located at the bottom of the BSOD. it'll be formatted like so: 0x0000##, where ## = some numbers and/or letters.

No I haven't, but That was going to be something I was going to do. I have been out of town on the road. Getting back tomorrow. I want to get back so I can some how Duplicate the problem and get that STOP Message CarnageX inquired about. It's funny you asked me that, because it was going through my mind.

try putting the old RAM back in and see if it works... Most memory doesn't make clicking noises ;) you will probably need a new hard drive.

Also give us the STOP error code that's located at the bottom of the BSOD. it'll be formatted like so: 0x0000##, where ## = some numbers and/or letters.

alright, here goes the stop code, may need to desifer.

oxoooooof4

(oxooooooo3, ox899c3020, ox899c3194, ox8o5fa160)

those are zero's i'm thinking, my girl friend wrote them down.

thanks again. hope its not the hard drive.....

Have you tried putting the old ram back into the machine yet? As I suspect the Ram is the problem.

That error code is wrong. IT is Zero's not o's. ;)

Plus that error code is not RAM specific.

Connecting a hard disk drive in slave only mode leads to system halt during resume from standby
Windows XP stops responding when you click or resize a window, or in Windows Server 2003, when you run many console applications, you receive a Stop error message: "0x000000F4"
0x000000F4: CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION HELP!!!!!!!! - MSDN Forums

Most of which i see is either hardware related or not all patches and hotfixes have been applied. No where did i see the Stop Error code 0X000000F4 relate to any RAM issues. In fact almost every one of htem the RAM is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom