Noobie OC help on bios setting 4 GA-P35-DS3R mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.
In our bios, speedstep is in the advanced options I think, maybe power managements. Anyway, it's the (EIST) option and default is enabled, disable it. The PCI 33 bit isnt' in our bios and seems to be locked at 33 so okay there, just set the PCI express to 100. I also disabled smartfan on mine to be sure to cool it as much as possible (since I have mine at 400x9). Luckily, my xigamtek fan is soft, especially when I turn the 9800gtx fan on full blast to OC it ( Iswear you'd think a jet is about to take off) I hear nothing else. And do you mean PSU sensor, or CPU? I don't think the bios will do anything with the power supply.

As for CPU-Z shwoing your multiplier at 6x, even with EIST off mine does too at idle, I read to set power saving options to performance if you are using Vista, which I am, but still happens, once something hits the cpu though, 9x it is.

As for CPU-Z shwoing your multiplier at 6x, even with EIST off mine does too at idle, I read to set power saving options to performance if you are using Vista, which I am, but still happens, once something hits the cpu though, 9x it is.

If you want your CPU to run always at 9x you have to change two settings in the "Advanced Bios Features" of your bios:
1. disable "CPU Enhanced Halt" (C1E)
2. disable "CPU EIST Function" (speedstep)

At least it is so in my DS3L. :)

I think I'm getting it guys!! I found what I was doing wrong. I had both the "CPU Enhanced Halt" and "CPU EIST Function" disabled but I had enabled the virtualization technology option and disabling it did the trick.

I've been running prime95 on all four cores running all at 100% load. The temp is a bit high in that at full load I'm seeing 74C on the hottest core and 69C on the coolest (running 100%). I've been running prime95 for the past 45 minutes, running dual monitor at 1920 x 1080 and 1440 x 900, watching a movie I've downloaded earlier at full screen on my second monitor, surfing the internet, checking my email all at the same time and so far no errors on all 4 prime95. YEAH!!!

I'll keep the prime95 for a couple of more hours and hope I still get no errors. I'll keep you posted.

thank you for all your help!!

What are your current settings (FSB, multiplier, and voltages) ?

74C seems a little too hot to me.

Why do you need to change settings like PCI bus speed and random voltages?

I have mine (i know my chip/mb is different) @

Cpu -7 multiplier
FSB - 430
Ram - 1:1 (860)
Cpu Voltage - 1.325v

Everything else is auto.

Hi Jantar and thanks again for your help. Here is my current bios settings.

robust graphics booster (auto)
CPU clock (x9)
CPU Host Clock Control (enabled)
CPU host frequency (356)
PCI express frequency (100)
C.I.A.2 (disabled)
performance enhance (standard)
system memory multiplier (2.40)
high speed dram dll settings (option 1)
DRAM timing selectable (manual)
CAS latency time (5)
DRAM RAS# to CAS# delay (5)
DRAM RAS# precharge (5)
precharge delay (15)
--------> the rest of the ram setting left to the default values
system voltage control (manual)
DDR2 over voltage control (+0.3)
PCI-E over voltage control (normal)
FSB over voltage control (normal)
CPU voltage control (1.33v)

I had prime95 running last night for about three hours before I went to bed but no errors!! I didn't want to keep it running all night cause this being my first OC rig, I wanted to keep a close eye on the temp readings. The temp at full load is a bit high but it could be that I don't have too good a OC'ing cpu fan. Right now with my computer mostly idling I get temp on the 4 cores from 46C to 51C at 3.2ghz. That's actually a whole lot better than it was just a week ago before I lapped my cpu and heat sink cause back then I was running the factory default 2.4ghz on my q6600 and on idle I would see temp between (about) 57 to 63. I could drop the VID a little more but I'm so happy getting my system running stable that I think I'll keep my setting as it is and just get a better heat sink fan. Probably the Thermalright Ultra-120.

I ran a couple of bench mark programs last night and on 3dmark06 I got 10,836 and on Passmark Performance v6.1 test I got 1712. I do have the pcmark but I could never get a benchmark score cause something in my system prevents the pcmark from running all the tests for a benchmark score and I just could never figure out what I had to do. Anyway when I do get my new Thermalright Ultra-120, maybe I'll try fsb at 400.

Why do you need to change settings like PCI bus speed and random voltages?
to answer your question Redmo0n, I'm changing the default speeds and voltages to get a faster computer. I'm not a gamer so I really don't need too fast a rig but I do like my computer to be blazing fast, so here I am.

I run my Q6600 currently at 3.0ghz (9 x 333) with stock voltages. Its stable and my temps at full prime95 load are at 55-56 Celsius. I have enabled speedstep and my idle temps are 30-32.

But when I tried to push it to 3.6ghz (9 x 400), I had to up the Vcore past 1.5V and FSB voltage to +0.3 just to be able to boot to Windows. Yet the system was far from stable; after several seconds of prime95 it just rebooted itself. Temps under load were also flying past 66C before the reboot. So I guess, even with better cooling, this processor is not able to run that high.

Then I tried 3.4ghz (9 x 378), with the Vcore at 1.43V (1.376 in CPU-Z) I got prime95 errors after some 10 minutes of load. Temps under load were at 66C. This is a little too high for me so I didn't try to further increase the Vcore.

I have Scythe Ninja cooler and it seems that the stock CPU fan is not efficient enough to cool it well. So I guess, when I get a better fan, I'll be able to run stable at 3.4ghz.

What is the VID of your CPU ? (mine is 1.325V )
Btw, VID is not the same as Vcore; it's the minimal recommended voltage of the CPU when running at stock settings and it's displayed by CoreTemp and in the bios under "Normal CPU Vcore". It seems that the lower VID the better the overclocking potential of the chip.

My bad. I thought VID meant the core voltage. I stand corrected. thank you Jantar. As far as my VID, looking at core temp it reads my VID at 1.2125. I have the q6600 with g0 stepping. Let me continue when I get back. Got a lunch date with my GF.

I'm back. For the heck of it I tried fsb at 377 (3.4ghz). I had to up the vcore to from the 1.33v I had already set for fsb 356 to 1.36v, cause otherwise windows would crash after running prime95 on all cores. I was able to get a kind of stable performance but the highest core temp was getting a bit too hot at 78/79C after about 5 minutes. It really wasn't a good load test cause I only ran prime95 at full load for 5 min. but I figure I'll play with the higher cpu speeds when I get the better fan.

I've clocked back to fsb 357 (3.2 ghz) but I also lowered the vcore to 1.312v. So far I've been running prime95 on the 4 cores and no errors but my temp is a little higher than last night. My highest core temp on full load is now 77C whereas last night running the same speed (3.2ghz) with 1.33v I was getting 74C on the highest core.

Your low VID, as well as that the system is stable at 3.2ghz with 1.312 vcore indicates that your CPU may be a good overclocker. But, you have heating problems and until you resolve them, I wouldn't advise you to run it at so high temps for any longer period of time. Anyway, good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom