Trying to update motherboard to support pci-e

Status
Not open for further replies.

nta3392

Beta member
Hello... (this is my first time posting btw)

I want to upgrade my 2 yr old pc's motheboard so that it can support pci-e. Currently it only supports AGP-8x, and it was all i needed for my Radeon x850 XT until it stopped working about 3 months ago. Now i'm trying to buy a new video card that it's about the same in performance as my x850Xt (i'm still looking, a x1950 maybe??? also need suggestions for this..) , but found out that they are more expensive for my AGP , than for pci-e.
So I want to find the cheapest motherboar that will support a pci-e and still work smothly with all my other pc parts:

here are my specs... :
AMD ATHLON 64 3400+ 2.4Ghz
1.5 GB pc3200 memory (1 GB and 512 mb modules)
200GB 7200 RPm hard drive
(is that enough? i can add more)
i'm running windows vista too .

i'm just trying to update the motherboard, since i'll prolly be buying a whole new pc in the next 1 to 6 months but would like this pc stay somewhat competitive.

thnx in advance for all posts...

Good luck finding a (decent) Socket 939 motherboard... You'd be better off putting that $20-40 towards a new rig if you are building soon. Especially if your card bit the dust 3 months ago..... (have you not been using the PC, or integrated graphics?)

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

Both those are:
1. Re-certified..... ouch
2. From a company I haven't heard of/seen reviews of.

yeah it's been running on integrated graphics. and i think the socket i need is 754,(or is it the same?)...
if i buy a new pc, i'd like this one to still run indepently(put them in a network)

s939 <> s754. A s754 board is even harder to find. PriceGrabber only pulled up two, one for $99 and one for $250. Here's the $99 one, but it is AGP as well:
PCPROGRESS.com

You need to make sure which socket you have. What model is the motherboard? Or what is the make and model (if it is a pre-built)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom