Dual Os Need Urgent Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The boot.ini is hidden. Even if you show hidden files it is still hidden. You have to scroll down and uncheck the option for Hide system protected Files (Recommneded) as the boot.ini is a system protected file and covered by that operation.

Just a question. Why dual boot with 98? First is is no longer supported. 2nd it has not been updated in a year. Unless you have games from the late 90's you want to play everything works on XP.

If yo ujust want to mess with 98 then use a Vitrual Machine.

this is true, I stopped dual booting 98 about 2 years ago. Its a dead OS. I think its true to say you can only use a virtual machine though if your CPU supports it?

No. You can use VMware or Virtual PC on any CPU. I use it on a old P4 775 myself and i have no issues. The newer CPU's are better are assigning resrouces and allowing the split of CPU useage between the main and Virtual machine. That is the big difference.

well i am doing some kind of self research on operating system in which 98 plays a vital role...
i somehow feel that the basic core architecture of the os tree i.e starting from 95 n till now (vista) is somewat similar so if i could dig in 98 n all all sorts of mess (for learning purpose ) i could explore something

windows NT4, windows 2000, windows XP, and windows vista are all based on the NT kernal.

Windows 95, windows 98, and windows ME are DOS based and are redundant - there is no good reason to study these except as some sort of computer history project.

Windows 98 and windows xp are only superficially similar, in reality they are chalk and cheese.

No. You can use VMware or Virtual PC on any CPU. I use it on a old P4 775 myself and i have no issues. The newer CPU's are better are assigning resrouces and allowing the split of CPU useage between the main and Virtual machine. That is the big difference.

Thats cool, I didn't realise that. I once tried to install vmware on my laptop (dothan) running ubuntu but it complained about my cpu and would not run.

windows NT4, windows 2000, windows XP, and windows vista are all based on the NT kernal.

Windows 95, windows 98, and windows ME are DOS based and are redundant - there is no good reason to study these except as some sort of computer history project.

Windows 98 and windows xp are only superficially similar, in reality they are chalk and cheese.

in wat sense u say windows xp is just superficially similar ...
if feel its almost the same(not checking in the advanced stuff or whatever u called) the GUI is somewat superior but the rest stuff apparently are alike as peas....
keeping the security issues in mind wat i heard was XP was more secure and less open to newbies(undoubtedly most user frndly) but those things which were open in 98 (may be the flaws or whatever) were taken in account in xp....

in short from were do i learn this OS architecture ...
the registry,kernel,console,all most n i dont know wat all utilities of windows .. how r these related wat impact they create on os n all that...?:confused:

trust me mattew, or look it up yourself, windows 9x is dead and there is no reason for you to study it.

Most of what I know I picked up studying for the A+ certification and the MCDST certification. You might want to look up some training material for these.

Actulyy XP and VIsta are not NT based nor are they 9X platform based. They are a combination of the 2 of them. The NT was made for security and used on mainly server OS from NT to 2000. NT coming out around the time 98 did. The 9X platform was made for ease of use and the ability for users to do what they wanted.

XP was teh first OS to combine the 2 platforms into one. Using the NTFS which was previously only used int NT/2000 and a more secure fule system compared to FAT16 and FAT32 which was used in Windows 95/98/ME. XP had the security level that users were wanting but the ease of use of the 9X platform.

This is why when XP was first release it was not compatible with any software on the market at the time. All 9X platform stuff coulent work on NTFS and at the same tiem all the stuff that worked on NT/2000 were Server basxed applicaitons not made for common use.

Vista is based the same way but taking it further. Using even more advanced security but at the same time making it easier for end users.

The 9X platform dies with ME. The NT platform is dying with Windows 2000 an NT. This is a new breed. The cross of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom