Which Processor upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffdsolo

Beta member
Hi,
I have the opportunity to upgrade my current P4 2.8Ghz processor to a P4 3.2Ghz, but I have a choice of two available:

1st a SL6WG, Which has FSB 800Mhz,
2nd a SL7NB, Which has FSB 533Mhz.

Which should I go for? Am I right in thinking that the SL6WG is the faster? or does it not work that way? I think that all the other specs on these two are the same, so which should I choose?

Thanx in advance for your help. :)

The 800mhz FSB will be faster, yes. But you need to confirm that your motherboard supports 800mhz fsb chips.

Also, are you paying for this upgrade?

Hi,
I have the opportunity to upgrade my current P4 2.8Ghz processor to a P4 3.2Ghz, but I have a choice of two available:

1st a SL6WG, Which has FSB 800Mhz,
2nd a SL7NB, Which has FSB 533Mhz.

Which should I go for? Am I right in thinking that the SL6WG is the faster? or does it not work that way? I think that all the other specs on these two are the same, so which should I choose?

Thanx in advance for your help. :)

Here I have an upgrade for you.

1. Throw molotov cocktail inside your case.
2. Buy a Q6600.

Sorry, was that mean....?

Yeah P4s are pretty ancient even though my little 2 GHz P4 is still truckin...she'll be gone in a couple days..soon to replaced by that q6600 :D

Hi,

Thanx for your help, I'm not paying for the upgrade, the CPU's are just available to me, so I figured why not?
I don't have the money for a super new pc, and besides, I get some pleasure out of working on my existing and getting it to run at optimum. It does well on most of the tasks I demand from it.
At some point I will be able to get something new, but I would probably still use this one as my backup, coz it's been very reliable.

My 2.8Ghz is non hyperthreading, so it will be interesting setting that up and seeing what sort of difference it makes.
Oh, and the motherboard supports both 533 and 800, so no probs there.

Thanx again for the input!

Hi,

Thanx for your help, I'm not paying for the upgrade, the CPU's are just available to me, so I figured why not?
I don't have the money for a super new pc, and besides, I get some pleasure out of working on my existing and getting it to run at optimum. It does well on most of the tasks I demand from it.
At some point I will be able to get something new, but I would probably still use this one as my backup, coz it's been very reliable.

My 2.8Ghz is non hyperthreading, so it will be interesting setting that up and seeing what sort of difference it makes.
Oh, and the motherboard supports both 533 and 800, so no probs there.

Thanx again for the input!

If it does what you need to do, then more power to ya man! At least you don't wast money every 6 months or so like I do.

Hmm,
Just looking at the cpu's there is another difference. The 800Mhz fsb one has 512mb cache, but the 533Mhz has 1Mb cache, would the 800Mhz one still be best?

i dunno actually, more cache is always a very good thing....but of course a higher fsb is good too.

Never knew much about P4s....someone else needs to chime in

I dunno, seems like they both have good things going for them. The 800Mhz obviously has a faster bus, but the 533Mhz has 1Mb cache and is also a mobile pentium 4 chip, which I read somewhere is an advantage coz they are cooling optimized and would probably run at a lower temp. (yes of course I've checked it's the same socket etc)
So I'm torn.
ahhh!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom