OCing 8800GT Superclocked

Status
Not open for further replies.

braz

Daemon Poster
I just began to overclock my EVGA 8800GT Superclocked 512mb. I downloaded this EVGA precision program for OCing. About how many mhz do I want to increase my card? For now, I increased everything by 30 (shader linked with core) So oveclocked, I am at 680/1694/980 45% fan speed idling 48c, 59c during gaming. Should I keep increasing it by 10? How should I do this? I never OC'd my video card before. Is it ok to increase the fan speed? Thanks!

Ya it is ok to increase the fan speed, but i would let it adjust itself automatically if it has the option. That is more less all i can help you with since all i have ever overclocked is an ATI card. Although going my ten is alright, but look around forums and such to see what other people have been able to OC their card to.

Oh and 60 degrees on load is decent. Once it gets up to the 80's or so you have a problem.

When ocing, yeah you must set the fan speed higher. I keep mine at 50% direct control and it keeps my card cool, and is very silent...... but i also have an aftermarket cooler, which i suggest you invest in.

This is the kit i have on mine:
EVGA | Products

It drops temps by a good 15C, and makes way less noise than the stock cooler.

But anyways, just find out what overclocks other people are getting on theres, and use it as guide to oc you own. Keep in mind, your card is already overclocked, so chances are you dont have much headroom left.

I have the same card, EVGA 8800GT SC Edition. However I have the Akimbo cooler so it may differ from yours slightly if you have stock cooler. Although its only slight differences.

I run my card at 710 w/ Linked Shader and my Memory Clock at 999. I wouldn't recommend going over 1000 because its just unstable. The fan speed I have at 70-85, depending on how much I want to hear it at the time.
At those settings I have never had a video related crash. The temp runs about 38 idle and 45-58 load.

You could probably tweak it just a little higher, but.. those current settings are pretty close to as max stable as you can get. (If you start liquid cooling, different story.)

im at 690/990. I think Ill stop there. Fan speed is at 50%. Are there any bad effects of higher fan speed? Is it bad for the card?

No.....the higher the fan speed the better for the card. Why would it be bad? Lower temps = longer lasting hardware.

I have mine set to 50%, but again i have a larger cooler assembly which can remove more heat than the stock one. You really should get an aftermarket cooler, so the temps can drop.

Highest load temps i get on mine is 55C and thats after hours of gaming. My idle temps are as low as 43C.

Braz, just overclock it the exact same way as your cpu. Up the clocks some, use some games to stress test it, if it doesnt freeze or crash up it more and play more games. Once it starts freezing, or crashing, lower the clocks until it plays good again.

ok, thanks for all of the quick replies guys. Time to OC my CPU again too.
*UPDATE* Just scored 13475 with my E8400 @ 3.6ghz and the 8800GT SC 512mb @ 700\1000. This was a 1k score increase!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom