Motherboard Socket longevity

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickFas

In Runtime
Recently I have decided to revamp an older PC I have been using, but I am looking to switch from a 939 socket to a LGA 775 (i think that's it).

How long does Intel plan on using the LGA 775 socket?

I'd prefer not to end up buying a whole new motherboard just to find out that this socket is going to be scrapped in about a year or two.

When I revamp this older computer, I'm thinking I'll dump in a 8800gt or 8800gts possibly with 4gb of some budget ram and the quad core intel for ~$200 on newegg (can't remember the clock speed/model off the top of my head).

Any thoughts on the build?

I'm pretty sure Intel's next processors (Nehalem) are using a different socket from LGA775 but I'm not 100% on that.

The Q93xx,94xx series are the last LGA775 chips as far as I'm aware. But so far from what I've been hearing Nehalem is nothing to look forward to...a clocked q6600 will last you for awhile.

So would you recommend not cheaping out on the RAM so I could OC it till Intel's next socket is in full swing?

Well I never recommend cheaping out on ram, but if it's DDR2 6400 then you can get your Q6600 to 3.6ghz without even overclocking the ram

Not to hijack my own thread but while you are reading, how do the new nvidia chipsets compare to each other?

which ones in particular....personally I don't really like any of the current ones, except the EVGA 750i FTW....

The 780i is ok, a tad buggy, the 750i is so-so, except for the EVGA 750i FTW (quite a good board)....the 790i is pretty darn good but extremely expensive and DDR3 only.

I prefer Intel chipsets unless you are planning on going SLI.

Well from the way I look at it (and the last I read about SLi technology) you have to buy 2 cards but don't get twice the performance, so I'm gonna pass on that.

Also, DDR3...I didn't even know that was out, its been a while since I looked at newegg. Is DDR2 going anywhere anytime soon or is DDR3 already fast upon us?

DDR2 is really, really cheap right now and still quite good. DDR3 is more expensive and the performance benefits are slim to none.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom