Got 9800GTX in...PSU only has one 6-pin power cord....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ulcajun

Baseband Member
So I cant use my 9800GTX until i buy another PSU with two power connectors? and what PSU would u guys suggest? i have an Corsair 520W PSU right now.
Edit: sorry wrong PSU

just checked specs, there is another PCI-express slot, but i guess it was taken out when the comp was being built, wasnt needed at the time....is there any stores i can buy a cable from?

All you have to do is hook up a 4-pin molex->6ipin PCI-E power adapter on it. Honestly your 9800GTX probably came with one. If not they aren't hard to get. You don't need a new PSU.

EDIT: Thats right you do have a 520HX like me...there should be two modular PCI-E power pins however just do what I told you if you can't get another modular cable. Just adapt a molex to a pci-e 6 pin.

All you have to do is hook up a 4-pin molex->6ipin PCI-E power adapter on it. Honestly your 9800GTX probably came with one. If not they aren't hard to get. You don't need a new PSU.

EDIT: Thats right you do have a 520HX like me...there should be two modular PCI-E power pins however just do what I told you if you can't get another modular cable. Just adapt a molex to a pci-e 6 pin.

thanks you were correct...i just plug in the molex to any available slot from the PSU?

EDIT: cant find any free 4-pins either...think they were taken out too...but i do have a free 8-pin, and it looks like it came with an 8pin to 6pin modular, would that work too?

anyone? ready to turn it on

many fan molex heads have two sides which you can route from. If you are out of 4-pin molex ends just search in your case for any dual sided ones such as fans.

what about the 8 pin to 6 pin? i have it connected, just ready to turn on...will that work?

would not turn on using the 8 pin for some reason...got the 4 pin modular to work tho...but its asking me to boot from a cd now...

is this normal for it to want me to boot from a system disk? or did i unplug something on the HD?
^^thanks, gonna see if i have that option.

looks like i messed something up with the harddrive...its not recognizing it and its asking me to install vista again.
EDIT: HD came unplugged from motherboard....now i have to remember if its the purple or the orange slots that are better....

Learn to edit your last post, do not reply to your own post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom